It will be back-to-back Olympic Games for Will Godward after the Queensland born, Adelaide based rifle shooter put together a consistent run of qualifying performances. Godward finished with silver in the 50 metre rifle three positions and bronze in the 10m air rifle at the 2015 Oceania Championships.
A relatively late starter to the sport, Godward began competing when he was 23 after his cousin introduced him to shooting. Three years later he competed for Australia at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi where he finished 12th in the individual 50m 3 position and 5th in the pairs 50m 3 position with Ben Burge.
After winning three Olympic quotas for Australia at the 2011 Oceania Championships he went on to make his Olympic debut in London. Lining up in the 10m air rifle, Godward finished 40th with a score of 588.
Outside of his shooting commitments Godward is a practising pianist who began playing at the age of 7 and has played at the Adelaide Conservatorium of Music.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
50m Rifle 3 Position Men
Townsville, QLD, Australia
St Ives, SA, Australia
- 2012 London - 40th (10m air rifle)
- 26th (3P) - ISSF World Cup (Bangkok, Thailand)
- 2nd (3P) – 2015 Australia Cup 2 (Sydney, Australia)
- 3rd ( 3P) – 2016 Australia Cup 1 (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd (3P) – 2015 Oceania Championships (Sydney, Australia
- 3rd (3P) – 2015 Shooting Australia Grand Prix (Sydney, Australia)
- 2011 Oceania Gold Men's 3 position and Air rifle.
- Setting a new personal best in Olympic Selection match in 2016
- Commonwealth Games 2010
- Port Side Christian School
- Home Schooled
Self Coached ( 2013 - Current )
SSAA Moonta, Morialta Target Shooters
Primary Training Base
Target Rifle South Australia
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Chicken Parmy
- Favourite holiday destination
- Czech Republic Pilsen
- Favourite music
- Coldplay, Keith Green.
- Dream car
- Subaru WRX STI
- Personal Motto
- I will always put God first in all aspects of my life, for without Him nothing is possible. Matthew 19:26
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Macca's run
- Olympic Rings, right shoulder.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Eric Liddell 1924 Paris Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- Seeing Michael Diamond win Gold at the 1996 Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My Mum
- Why this sport?
- Because I wasn't good enough to play cricket for Australia :)