With a number of medals and national titles from France and Brazil to his name, Tyler Martin will be looking to add Olympic medalist to his list of credentials when the Sydney-sider center back makes his Olympic debut in Rio for the Australian water polo team.
Born in Toronto, Canada, Marin moved to Australia at a young age and took up water polo as a 12-year-old with the Drummonye Devils. At 19, he was named in the National Water Polo League All Star team.
Martin has played professionally in France, Italy, Hungary and Brazil. Along with fellow Sharks teammate, Nathan Power, Martin lived in Rio de Janeiro for three weeks at the end of 2015. The two Aussie Sharks helped the Botafogo team to their first national water polo title in 10 years.
He made his international debut for Australia in 2010, and the following year won silver at the Volvo Cup in Hungary and bronze at the Italian Cup. He made his World Championships debut in 2013, where Australia placed eighth in Barcelona, Spain. Never played in a World Junior Championships but has played Professionally in France, Italy, Hungary and Brazil
Martin graduated from Macquarie University in 2012 with a Bachelor of Commerce, majoring in Marketing. He is the founder and managing director of a company that makes customizable swimwear and sporting goods.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Water Polo Men
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 5th - 2016 World League Super Final (Huizhou, China)
- 2nd - 2016 World League Intercontinental Tournament (Yokohama, Japan)
- 1st – 2015 FINA World League Intercontinental Tournament (California, USA)
- 5th – 2015 FINA World League Super Final, Bergamo, Italy
- 8th – 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Making my first World Championship team in 2013
- Winning the French League and Cup Competitions with CN Marseille
- Drummoyne Primary school (NSW, Australia)
- North Sydney Boys HIgh School (NSW, Australia)
- bachelor of commerce-marketing, Macquarie University (2009- )
Elvis Fatovic (2013 - current)
Drummoyne Water Polo Club
Primary Training Base
Homebush, SOPAC, Sydney, AUS
Secondary Training Base
Drummoyne Pool, Sydney, AUS
- Favourite food
- roast lamb
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- bit of everything
- Dream car
- Mercedes G Class
- Personal Motto
- Toughness (not a motto, just a focus)
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Pancakes and Ice Cream
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- 4 x 100 relay in Sydney - mens swimming
- First Olympic Memory?
- The Sydney Olympics as a spectator
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- I was good at it and my mates played