Tom Burton will make his Olympic debut in Rio de Janeiro after missing out on a spot at the London 2012 Games.
The Sydneysider trained alongside Tom Slingsby four years ago, competing for the one Laser position on the Australian Team. Slingsby was selected and went on to claim gold at Weymouth.
Burton finished second at the World Championships in 2014 and went on to win two World Cups in 2015 in Hyeres and Abu Dhabi. He claimed Australia’s one Laser spot for Rio from fellow countryman Matt Wearn after a tough selection battle.
Burton trains at Middle Harbour Yacht Club in Sydney, the same training base as fellow 2016 Team members Lisa Darmanin and Jason Waterhouse. He is coached by Sydney 2000 medallist Michael Blackburn, who also trained Slingsby.
He took up sailing at age nine, after following his dad to regattas. His Olympic dream was then sparked by a school excursion to Sydney Olympic Park during the Sydney 2000 Games.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Baulkham Hills, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd - 2016 Sailing World Cup Weymouth & Portland, Great Britain
- 6th - 2016 Laser Standard Men's World Championship Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
- 3rd - 2016 Sailing World Cup Hyeres, France
- 13th - 2015 World Cup Miami, Florida, USA
- 1st - 2015 Australian Championships, Lake Macquarie, NSW
- World Cup Champion 2014
- World Cup Champion 2015
- 2nd ISAF Worlds 2014
- Baulkham Hills North Public School (NSW, Australia)
- Muirfield High School (NSW, Australia)
Michael Blackburn (2009-current)
Middle Harbour Yacht Club, NSW
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- No regatta shirt during the same regatta.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Dream car
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- First Olympic Memory?
- Going to Homebush for a school excursion during Sydney Olympics.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- Family History and the love of the body, mind, environment challenge.