An injury in early 2016 forced Thomas Cusack to undergo wrist surgery and miss a large part of the 2015/16 World Series. He proved his fitness at a training camp in Darwin in June to ensure he would get to wear the green and gold at the Olympic Games.
Born in the ACT, Cusack is not a stranger to the international stage, having previously represented Australia at Schoolboys (2010-11) and Under 20s level (2012) and is a former member of the ARU National Gold Squad.
The Canberran made his Australian sevens debut at the Wellington Sevens Tournament in 2013. He was already familiar with several teammates, having ?played alongside Sean McMahon, Allan Fa'alava'au, Lewis Holland and Con Foley at the Junior World Championships the previous year.
Cusack helped Australia win bronze at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
A graduate of Marist College Canberra, Cusack's skills span further than the Rugby pitch and classroom - he has also been playing piano since he was 12 years old.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Rugby - Sevens
Rugby Sevens Men
Canberra, ACT, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 2nd - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Sydney Sevens (Sydney, Australia)
- 5th - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Wellington Sevens (Wellington, New Zealand)
- 12th - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Cape Town Sevens (Cape Town, South Africa)
- 6th - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Dubai Sevens (Dubai, UAE)
- Qualifying for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- Being selected on the Australian Team as Sevens makes its debut in Rio.
Andy Friend (2016 - current)
Sydney Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base