Taylor McKeown ensured she would make her Olympic debut in Rio after she finished second behind Georgia Bohl in the 100m breaststroke. McKeown finished in a personal best time of 1:06.68, 0.56 seconds behind Bohl, which makes her the fifth fastest Australian woman of all time in the event.
McKeown then swan an exceptional 200m breaststroke to turn the tide on Bohl and qualify for a second event at the 2016 Games in a personal best time of 2:21.45. Only four-time Olympian Leisel Jones has swum faster time in the event. Mckeown will also line up in the 4x100m medley relay in Rio.
Making her Commonwealth Games debut in Glasgow in 2014, McKeown did not disappoint. She progressed through to the 200m breaststroke final as the third fastest qualifier before claiming gold ahead of Australian teammate Sally Hunter with a time of 2:22.36.
She missed the final of the 100m breaststroke by just 0.08 seconds at the 2015 World Championships, finishing ninth. She also missed the final of the 200m breaststroke by just over a second after also making the semi-finals.
McKeown is currently studying a Bachelor of Science majoring in Wildlife Biology at Griffith University.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Breaststroke Women, 200m Breaststroke Women, 4 x 100m Medley Relay Women
Redcliffe, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st (100m breaststroke), 1st (2nd breaststroke) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 1st (200m breaststroke), 2nd (100m breaststroke) - 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 2nd (200m breaststroke) - 2016 NSW State Open Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd (200m breaststroke), 6th (100m breaststroke) - 2016 Victorian Open Championships (Melbourne, Australia)
- 9th (100m breaststroke), 12th (200m breaststroke), 3rd (4x100m medley relay) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Commonwealth Games gold medal in the women's 200m breaststroke, Glasgow, 2014.
- World Championships bronze medal in the women's 4x100m medley relay, Kazan, 2015.
- Australian Championships gold medal in the women's 200m breaststroke, Brisbane, 2014. A huge PB time and qualified for my first Australian open team. Also my first Australian Open Championships Gold.
- St Pauls Lutheran Primary School
- Grace Lutheran College
- Bachelor of Science, majoring in animal ecology, started 2015.
Christopher Mooney (2005-current)
USC Spartans, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
University of the Sunshine Coast
- None, but I like having colour matching goggles, cap and race suit.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Great Barrier Reef
- Favourite music
- Lots of stuff, but the most popular genre in my library is probably indiie rock
- Dream car
- Vintage Kombi Van
- Personal Motto
- I put the 'tay' in partay
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- $10 on black (roulette)
- Piercings: ears, belly button
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Softball or basketball
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Kathy Freeman's 2000 Olympic Win
- First Olympic Memory?
- Being jealous of Nikki Webster singing at the 2000 opening ceremony and not me!
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Mum and dad
- Why this sport?
- Because I love being in the water