Taliqua Clancy will team up with dual Olympian and volleyball veteran Louise Bawden when she makes her Olympic debut on Copacabana Beach in Rio 2016.
Clancy grew up in the rural Queensland town of Kingaroy, over 200km away from the nearest beach. She tried her hand in almost every sport available to her growing up, before finding indoor volleyball in high school.
At 15 years of age, she was scouted for beach volleyball and moved to Brisbane on a scholarship to the Queensland Academy of Sport. She moved to Adelaide as a 17-year-old to join the Australian Volleyball program.
The Queenslander won bronze with Eliza Hynes at the U19s Beach Volleyball World Championships in Portugal, 2010. She teamed up with Bawden in late 2012 and the duo, despite the 11-year age gap, won their first national tour event.
In 2014 the pair peaked at world number five and won the Asian Championships. They secured their Olympic quota spot after finishing at world number seven at the end of the world ranking qualification period in June 2016. Clancy is the first indigenous beach volleyball Olympian.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Volleyball - Beach
Beach Volleyball Women
Kingaroy, QLD, Australia
Adelaide, SA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 5th – 2016 Major (Hamburg, Germany)
- 9th – 2016 Moscow Grand Slam (Moscow, Russia)
- 4th – 2016 Vitoria Open (Vitoria, Brazil)
- 25th – 2016 Rio Grand Slam (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 1st – 2015 AVC Women’s Beach Volleyball Championships (Hong Kong, China)
- Bronze Medal with Eliza Hynes at the Un19s Beach Volleyball World Championships in Portugal, 2010
- Third at the Major Series in Porec, Croatia in 2015 with Lou Bawden.
- Selection on the 2016 Australian Olympic Team for Rio with Lou Bawden.
- St John's Lutheran Primary School, QLD, Australia
- Holland Park High School, QLD, Australia
Andrew Schat (2010 - current)
Primary Training Base
South Australian Sports Institute
Secondary Training Base
Australian Institute of Sport - Italy base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Home but also love Europe
- Favourite music
- RnB, Indie
- Dream car
- Range Rover - white or black
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- boost juice
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Indoor Volleyball and trampolining