Victorian Talgat Ilyasov booked his ticket to the Rio Games when took home the silver medal in the -74kg division at the African/Oceania Olympic qualifiers in Algiers, Algeria.
The 35-year-old qualified for his first Games in 2004 being labelled as Australia’s best hope of a wrestling medal in over 68 years.
Before the freestyle wrestler was able to travel to Athens, a spinal injury forced him to withdraw from the Games. Devastated at having missed his Olympic opportunity, Uzbekistani born Ilyasov retired from the sport.
More than 10 years later after being told he would never wrestle again, Talgat made a fantastic return to the sport and a huge 2015 season saw him claim numerous Australian and international titles.
Off the wrestling mats, Talgat has proved successful at Mixed Martial Arts, winning his debut via TKO at Australian Fighting Championships.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Wrestling - Freestyle
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 2nd (Freestyle -74kg) 2016 African/Oceania Olympic qualifiers (Algiers, Algeria)
- 1st – (Freestyle -74kg) 2016 Australian National Championships (Tottenham, Melbourne)
- 1st – (Freestyle -74kg) 2015 Australian National Championships (Canberra, Australia)
- 1st – (Freestyle -74kg) 2015 Australia Cup Championships & Oceania Trials (Hamiliton, New Zealand)
- 1st – (Freestyle -74kg) - 2015 Canada Cup of International Wrestling (Guelph, Canada)
- 2003 - Senior World Championships in New York, placed 6th and qualified for Athens Olympics
- 1999 - Junior World Championships in Sydney 4th
- 1997 - Cadet World Championships in New Delhi, placed 3rd/bronze medal
- Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Sports School in Samarkand, Uzbekistan.
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- I enjoy Uzbek, Greek, Italian and middle eastern cuisine
- Favourite holiday destination
- I’ve been on cruises in Australia and the South Pacific however I’d like to travel to Italy, Egypt and the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea
- Favourite music
- I enjoy listening to music from different countries irrespective of the language, as long as I like the tune/beat, etc
- Dream car
- Black, Aston Martin Rapide S
- Personal Motto
- I believe in always trying to improve and better myself by learning new things
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- I would spend my last $10.00 on whatever I needed at the time
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- I’m most inspired by Olympic performances where the person least likely ends up winning
- First Olympic Memory?
- My first olympic memory was when I was very young, not even a few years of age. I was watching a replay of the 1980 Moscow Olympic games closing ceremony. I remember the camera capturing emotional people and of course, the bear.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My father and coach
- Why this sport?
- I was introduced to wrestling from a very young age through playing games and started training from the age of 8. It’s been a large part of my life ever since.