Steve Bird will contend his second Olympic Games at Rio 2016 in the K1 200m event. He raced the K2 200m with Jesse Phillips at the London Olympics where the pair placed sixth.
Bird was the dominant K1 paddler in the selection events. He won gold in the 2016 Oceania Championships in Adelaide in February, and again at the 2016 National Sprint Championships in March.
At 8 years of age, Bird started paddling in second hand kayaks with his brother on his family’s dams in the small farming village of Richmond, South Africa. He started to get serious when he took up water sports offered at school and tried his hand in slalom, downriver, marathon and sprinting. He migrated with his family to Perth in 2007.
He has graduated from Curtain University with a Bachelor of Psychology.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Canoe/Kayak - Sprint
K1 200m Men
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Mt Pleasant, WA, Australia
- 2012 London – 6th (K2 200m)
- 1st (K1 200) – 2016 National Sprint Championships (Perth, Australia)
- 1st (K1 200) – 2016 Oceania Sprint Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 19th (K1 200) – 2015 ICF World Championships (Milan, Italy)
- 24th (K1 200) – 2015 ICF World Cup 2 (Duisburg, Germany)
- 13th (K2 200) – 2015 ICF World Championships (Milan, Italy)
- 6th place - London Olympics 2012
- 8 x Australian 200m Champion
- Cordwalles Preparitory School (Pietermaritzburg, South Africa)
- Michaelhouse High School (Balgowan, South Africa)
- Bachelor of Psychology - Curtin University
Ramon Andersson (2008 - current)
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- South West of Western Australia, Europe, Mauritius, Drakensburg Mountains- South Africa
- Favourite music
- Folk, Jazz, Soul, Blues.
- Dream car
- Vintage VW Kombi Van
- Personal Motto
- He who has a WHY to live for, can bear with almost any HOW - Friedrich Nietzsche
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A flat white with a piece of carrot cake, with cream on the side.
- Olympic rings tattoo.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman 400m win - Sydney 2000
- First Olympic Memory?
- Archer lighting the Olympic flame in Barcelona 1992
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Nandor Almasi and Ramon Andersson (coaches)
- Why this sport?
- It is diverse. One can paddle down river, flat water and ocean racing.