Simon Clarke will make his Olympic debut in Rio after being called up as a replacement for Simon Gerrans who was injured in the lead up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The Melbourne-born cyclist first jumped on a bike at age 11. In 2000 he won the under-15s time trial bronze medal at his first National Championships. Since then, he has a collection of over 10 national medals in his trophy case.
Clarke won gold in the Team Pursuit at the 2004 Junior Track World Championships. In 2006 he competed in his first of six senior World Championships with his best result being a seventh place finish in the individual road race in 2013
Clarke, who has been professional since 2009, first cycled into the international spotlight in 2012 when he won a stage and the overall mountains classifications at Vuelta a Espana, his first-ever Grand Tour. The following year he claimed a stage win in the Tour de France when he was a part of the team time trial win.
The team rider now living in Andorra, Spain was a member of the Australian squad at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. In 2015 he won the first stage of the Giro d’Italia, again in the team time trial, securing Clarke the honour of at least one stage victory in all three Grand Tours.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cycling - Road
Road Race Men
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 25th – Tour of Poland (Poland)
- 1st - 2016 GP Industria & Artigianato (Italy)
- 1st – 2015 Stage 1 (TTT) Giro d'Italia (Italy)
- 10th – 2015 Aquece Rio (Rio, Brazil)
- 2nd – 2015 Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race (Melbourne, Australia)
- Winning Stage 4 of the team time trial at the 2013 Tour de France
- Winning the King of the Mountains jersey of the 2012 Vuelta Espana.
- Winning stage four of the 2012 Vuelta Espana.
- Selby Primary School (VIC, Australia)
- Billanook College (VIC, Australia)
Jonathan Hall (2006-current)
Victorian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Italian Pizza
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Ministry of Sound
- Dream car
- Shelby GT 500
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- I would put it on red
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Slalom Kyaking
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching the Sydney Olympics when i was a kid
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Dave Sanders - VIS coach
- Why this sport?
- Loving riding my bike