Rio 2016 is Shane Rose’s fourth Olympic Eventing selection however he has been forced to withdraw from the Team twice previously with injuries to his horses. Rose will take the Rio stage with his 13-year-old grey gelding CP Qualified, and he is due some better Olympic luck. He is ranked fifth in the world rankings.
After some early success in his international career, Rose was selected to compete at the 1996 Atlanta Games, but his horse Mr Joe Cool went lame in the journey to the USA and he was unable to compete. It was 12 years later when his Olympic dream was realised for the Beijing 2008 Games. Competing in Hong Kong, Rose and horse All Luck helped Australia win silver in the Team event, with the pair clocking the best cross country round of the event. He also placed 27th in the Individual event at his debut Games.
Rose was devastated when his horse Taurus, who he had been preparing for five years, was unable to compete at the London Olympics after he pulled up lame with a shoulder injury. Rose was forced to withdraw from his second Olympic appearance.
The Sydney born rider was a member of the fourth placed Australian Eventing Team at the World Equestrian Games in Normandy, 2014. The following year he guided two horses to finish 1st and 2nd at the 2015 Australian International Three Day Event CCI4* (CP Qualified and Virgil).
Rose began riding horses at his local pony club when he was young, the same time he was competing in junior rugby union representative teams. He turned his focus solely to riding after a six month stint in the United Kingdom testing himself out in the sport. With a degree in horse management, Rose lives an hour west of Sydney in Werombi where he owns a property called Bimbadeen Park with wife Niki, which offers services for race and performance horses.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Equestrian - Eventing
Individual Open, Team Open
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Werombi, NSW, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 2nd (team eventing), 27th (individual eventing)
- 1st – 2016 Melbourne International Three Day Event CIC3*(Melbourne, Australia)
- 2nd – 2016 Sydney International Horse Trials CIC3* (Sydney, Australia)
- 1st & 2nd – 2015 Australian International Three Day Event CCI4* (Adelaide, Australia) with CP Qualified and Virgil
- 1st – 2015 Goulburn Horse Trials CIC3* (Goulburn, Australia)
- 1st – 2015 Taupo CCI3* (Taupo, New-Zealand)
- Winning a Silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- Member of the 4th placed Australian Eventing Team at the World Equestrian Games, Normandy 2014
- 5 x winner of the Anna Savage Medal (Best and fairest award for Australian Eventing riders)
- Pittwater House, NSW Australia
- Sydney Tafe, NSW Australia
- Equine Science, Sydney Institute of Technology
Gareth Hughes (2012 to current) and Rod Brown (2012 to current)
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Most but acqustic rock
- Dream car
- Family Wagon? NOT!
- Personal Motto
- Be the best you can be
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Something to eat
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Something old people could do
- Why this sport?
- Grew up riding. I love it. Being able to work with horses.