Badminton player, Sawan Serasinghe will make his first Olympic appearance at Rio, competing in the men’s doubles with Matthew Chau. They head into Rio as the 46th highest ranked pairing in the world.
Playing badminton since the age of five, Serasinghe was born in Galle, Sri Lanka, and moved to Australia when he was 11-years-old.
Serasinghe trains at the National Training Centre in Melbourne, and took out back-to-back Oceania Championships titles with Chau in 2015 and 2016. The 22-year-old also won the 2014 Sydney International Challenge mixed doubles (with Setyana Mapasa), against some of the best players in the world.
The Melbournian’s first international experience was at the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival where he competed in the men’s doubles with Chau and also took the court in the men’s singles competition.
Off the court, Serasinghe studies a Bachelor of Business Information Systems at Monash University.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Galle, Sri Lanka
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
- 32nd (Men’s Doubles) – 2016 Australian Open (Sydney, Australia)
- 1st (Men’s Doubles) – 2016 Oceania Championships (French Polynesia ,Tahiti)
- 1st (Mixed Doubles) - 2015 Norwegian International Championships – (Sandefjord, Norway)
- 1st (Men’s Doubles) - 2015 Oceania Team Championships – (Auckland, New Zealand)
- 1st (Mixed Doubles) - 2014 Sydney International Championship – (Sydney, Australia)
- 2015 Oceania Men's Doubles Champions - Auckland, New Zealand
- 2014 Sydney International Mixed Doubles Champions - Sydney, Australia
- 2015 Norwegian International Mixed Doubles Champions - Sandefjord, Norway
- Richmond College (Galle, Sri Lanka)
- Glen Waverley Secondary College (Vic, Australia)
- Bachelor of Business Information Systems - Monash University (2012 - present)
Lasse Bundgaard (2010 - current)
Primary Training Base
Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre
Secondary Training Base
Victorian Institute of Sport
- Always have to wear two pairs of socks during a match.
- Favourite food
- Apple Crumble and Vanilla Ice Cream
- Dream car
- Porsche Cayman GT4
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Olympic weightlifting
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Lin Dan (Badminton Men's Singles Finals) - 2012 London Olympic Games
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2004 Athens Olympic Games Opening Ceremony