Freestyle wrestler, Sahit Prezreni will make history in Rio becoming the first Australian to have carried another country’s flag at the Olympic Games.
With numerous international titles to his name, Prezreni was the pride of Albanian wrestling, competing at the Athens 2004 Olympics and being selected to carry his country's flag at the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Games.
The Victorian will now feature in the green and gold at Rio, after becoming an Australian citizen in 2014.
Prezreni, who competes in the 65kg weight division, proved he could match it with the best when he won a bronze medal at the 2007 Wresting World Championships. A few years later he claimed a silver medal at the European Championships in 2011.
The 33-year-old qualified for his third Olympics after claiming a silver medal in the 65kg division at the African/Oceania Olympic qualifiers in Algiers, Algeria. After winning back-to-back Australian titles in 2015 and 2016, Prezreni will be looking to make his mark at the first South American Games.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Wrestling - Freestyle
- 2004 Athens - 17th 2008 Beijing - 16th
- 2nd (Freestyle -65kg) 2016 African/Oceania Olympic qualifiers (Algiers, Algeria)
- 1st – (Freestyle -65kg) 2016 Australian National Championships (Tottenham, Melbourne)
- 1st – (Freestyle -65kg) 2015 Australian National Championships (Canberra, Australia
- 1st – (Freestyle -65kg) - 2015 Canada Cup of International Wrestling (Guelph, Canada)
- 2002 - Junior European Championship bronze
- 2007 - Senior World Championship bronze
- 2011 - Ssenior European Championship silver
- Bajram Curri - kukes- Albania
- Besnik Sykja- Tirane- Albania
- Physical Education- Vojo Kushi-A.E.F.S - 2002-2009
Sam Parker (2012-current)
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- I haven't been on a holiday for a long time but I would like to go to Costa Rica
- Favourite music
- Traditional Albanian music
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A bottle of water and a sandwich
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be