His best season for years saw Ryan Gregson take the national 1500m championship title in April. Still short of the Olympic qualifying standard, that was resolved over an 18 day period in May and June where he clocked four consecutive qualifying performances topped by his third fastest career time of 3:34.27 in the Rome Diamond League race. He was even more impressive in the Monaco Diamond League clocking 3:32.13, his fastest for six years.
The talented junior placed fifth at the IAAF world youth and world juniors championships in 2007 and 2008 respectively. Shortly after turning 20-years of age in 2010, he broke the national 1500m record, which had stood for nearly two decades, with an outstanding time of 3:31.06. Hopes are high, after his consistent 2016 season, he could become the first men’s Olympic 1500m finalist for 40 years.
He was run out in the semi-finals on Olympic debut at London 2012.
Raised on the NSW South Coast town of Wollongong, Gregson is related to a range of interesting people: Don Bradman, Rio-bound Hockeyroo Casey Eastham and Tour De France champion Jan Ullrich from Germany. His girlfriend Genevieve LaCaze is also confirmed for her second Olympic Team.
His yearly training and competition program includes stints in Ballarat, Falls Creek, California, London and Scandinavia.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
- 2012 London - 1500m semi-final
- 7th (1500m) - 2016 IAAF Diamond League (Monaco, MON)
- 3rd (1500m) – 2016 IAAF Diamond League (Rome, Italy)
- 6th (1500m) – 2016 IAAF Diamond League (Birmingham, GBR)
- 1st (1500m) – 2016 Australian Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 1st (1500m) – 2015 IAAF World Championships (Beijing, China)
- Breaking the Australian 1500m record by running 3:31.06 Monaco Diamond League, in 2010.
- Breaking the Australian indoor 1500m record in New York, in 2013.
- Albion Park Public School (NSW, Australia), Graylands Primary School (WA, Australia).
- Shenton College (WA, Australia), Illawarra Sports High School (NSW, Australia).
- Bachelor of Business - Swinburne University of Technology
Nic Bideau (2008 - current)
Glenhuntly Athletics Club
Primary Training Base
Falls Creek, Australia.
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Chris Brown
- Dream car
- Personal Motto
- Keep pushing!
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A Chicken Crispy Strip Combo Meal at KFC. It's $9.95.
- Australian Made logo on my bicep. Self explanatory. Both ears pierced for a bit of flavour when I'm dressing up.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Nick Willis placing 2nd in the 1500m in 2008
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching Daniel Batman run in the 400m at Sydney 2000 Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My parents
- Why this sport?
- Because if I was in the AFL I would have outgrown the sport within 3 years. I needed a challenge.