Ryan Fisher is set to make his Olympic debut in the men’s triathlon after an explosive start to the 2016 season.
A keen soccer player during his school years, Fisher was introduced to the sport of triathlon at age 12 but claimed out of all the sports he played growing up, triathlon was his least favourite. At the end of his Year 12 studies, Fisher seriously considered moving overseas to play football but picked triathlon instead and hasn’t looked back.
At the end of the 2014 season, Fisher had planned to retire from the sport. After being selected in the elite team for World Championships, the 25-year-old fell ill and couldn’t compete. After three months off Fisher re-assessed and came back, more determined than ever claiming the third ITU Triathlon World Cup of the 2015 season in Chengdu, China.
Fisher finished only one place behind Ryan Bailie in fourth at the 2016 World Triathlon Series race on the Gold Coast, which doubled as an automatic qualification event for the first Aussie to cross the line in the top ten.
Hailing from Kenmore Hills in Brisbane, Fisher says his first Olympic memory was Michael Klim winning Gold in the Sydney Olympics.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Auchenflower, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 13th – 2016 ITU World Triathlon Series Yokohama (Yokohama, Japan)
- 5th - 2016 ITU World Triathlon Gold Coast (Gold Coast, Australia)
- 4th - 2016 OTU Triathlon Oceania Championships (Gisborne, New Zealand)
- 12th- 2016 ITU World Triathlon Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
- 1st - 2016 ITU OTU Sprint Triathlon Oceania Cup (Kinloch, New Zealand)
- Winning my first World Cup in Ishigaki, Japan.
- Winning the Chengdu World Cup in China after a 3 month break from the sport.
- Kenmore and Indooroopilly State School, QLD Australia.
- Ipswich Grammar 2004, Marist College Ashgrove 05-08.
Shaun Stephens - (2015 - current)
Primary Training Base
Brisbane - Australia
Secondary Training Base
Girona - Spain
- Favourite food
- Peri Peri Chicken Pizza!
- Favourite holiday destination
- Hamilton Island, QLD or Samoa for a surf trip.
- Favourite music
- Ben Harper / acousitc or majority of Aussie Hip hop.
- Dream car
- Mercedes Benz G-Wagon
- Personal Motto
- 'Fear none, respect all'
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Cadbury Marvelous creartions family block!
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Michael Klim winning Gold in the Sydney Olympics.
- First Olympic Memory?
- Steven Bradbury!
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My parents
- Why this sport?
- Because it's a way that everyday I can push myself harder than I ever thought.