A country boy from Bunbury, Western Australia, Ryan Bailie will make his Olympic debut at Rio after securing automatic nomination at the World Triathlon Series event on the Gold Coast having finished in fourth place.
Born in South Africa, Bailie began the sport of Triathlon as a junior and raced at the Standard Distance World Championships in 2009 where he claimed the 18-19 Age Group World Title.
Bailie turned pro in 2011 and represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games where he claimed bronze in the mixed relay and finished 5th the in the individual men’s triathlon.
The 25-year-old divides his training schedule between Wollongong and Vittoria, Spain, as part of the infamous ‘Wollongong Wizards’ which also features fellow Rio Team member and women’s World Champion Gwen Jorgensen.
When he’s not racing, Bailie likes spending time with his family, including his twin sister who has just finished her studies to become a Doctor.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Johannesburg, South Africa
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 4th - 2016 World Triathlon Series Gold Coast (Gold Coast, Australia)
- 8th - 2016 ITU World Triathlon Series Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi, UAE)
- 10th - 2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final (Chicago, USA)
- 5th - 2015 ITU World Triathlon Series Stockholm (Stockholm, Sweden)
- 13th - 2015 Olympic Test Event (Rio de Janerio, Brazil)
- Bronze Medal Glasgow Commonwealth Games Mixed Teams Relay 2014
- 6th World Triathlon Series 2015
- 5th Glasgow Commonwealth Games Men's triathlon 2014
- Adam Road Primary School (WA, Australia)
- Newton Moore Senior High School (WA, Australia)
Jamie Turner (2010-current)
Bunbury Triathlon Club
AIS WAIS NSWIS
Primary Training Base
Wollongong, Australia (primary) Vitoria, Spain, Basque Country (Primary)
Secondary Training Base
Falls Creek, Australia
- I have worn the same speedo's under my race suit since 2011.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Anything other than that screaming stuff!
- Dream car
- Land Rover Sport
- Personal Motto
- I love the quote and live by Live it Love It Don't Waste It
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Emma Snowsill 2008 Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- Kathy Freeman- 2000 Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- It challenges you day in day out!