Riley Fitzsimmons debuted on the Australian senior sprint canoe team in 2015. He will make his Olympic debut in Rio where he will be just 20. He and Jordan Wood earnt selection in the 1000m pool after their performance to finish a close 3rd behind Wallace/Tame and Stewart/Clear at the selection trials.
Fitzsimmons won two gold and a silver medal at the 2015 Australian Surf Life Saving Championships and took home gold in the K2 1000m race at the canoe sprint World Championships with Wood, in Portugal in the same year.
Along with his K2 teammate, Wood, the duo first showed they were Rio ready when they defeated the 2015 World Championship silver medallists and Olympians Ken Wallace and Lachlan Tame in the first 2016 Grand Prix regatta in West Lakes.
Off the waves, Fitzsimmons is a volunteer lifesaver and is employed as a builder and apprentice carpenter.
Fitzsimmons started Surf Life Saving at age four at his local club, Avoca Beach. He first started kayaking at 15 and has balanced his life saving and kayaking passions ever since.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Canoe/Kayak - Sprint
K4 1000m Men
North Gosford hospital , NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd (K2 1000) – 2016 National Sprint Championships (Perth, Australia)
- 3rd (K2 1000) – 2016 Oceania Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF U23 World Championships (Montemor-0-Velho, Portugal)
- 5th (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF World Cup 1 (Montemor-o-Velho, Portugal)
- 10th (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF World Cup 2 (Duisburg, Germany)
- Wining my first world under-23 championship in 2015 as a 18 year-old.
- Winning the Open ski relay at the Australian surf lifesaving titles with my best mates
- Qualifying the K4 1000m spot for the Rio Olympic Games at my first senior world championships where I was also the flag bearer.
- Avoca Beach Primary School NSW
- Terrigal High School NSW
- Ourimbah TAFE
Jimmy Owens 2014 -current
Avoca beach, NSW, Australia
Primary Training Base
Varsity lakes, Gold Coast
Secondary Training Base
- I start flicking the water before the start of a race, I don't know why I don't it, it's just a little nervs thing.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Point plomer camping grounds on the mid north coast of NSW
- Favourite music
- Love my old school sing alongs bit of Cold Chisel
- Dream car
- Mercedes G class
- Personal Motto
- I'm never losing, either winning or learning.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- My last $10 would be spent on food cause I love it haha
- Don't have any
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Eric Moussambani, his will to finish his 100m race was pretty incredible
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching the Sydney Olympic torch being lit
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Probably my team mate Lachlan tame he taught me how to paddle a kayak and ski, he's also achieved some pretty inspiring sport goals
- Why this sport?
- I started kayaking to improve my surf ski skills for surf life saving