The Rio 2016 Games will be defending champion Nathan Outteridge’s third Games, returning to defend title with teammate Iain Jensen.
Outteridge took up sailing at age five and won his first World Championships title in the 49er class in 2008. He repeated this success in 2009, 2011 and 2012.
In 2005 The Novocastrian was involved in a car accident while driving to a Melbourne Regatta that left him needing to learn to walk again. At 22 he was back in evergreen form, winning the 2008 49er World Championships with Ben Austin. The pair combined again to finish fifth in the 49er medal race at the Beijing Olympic Games. A capsize in the final prevented them from securing a certain medal.
Having started a new partnership with Iain Jensen in 2009 the pair won the 49er World Championship in only their second regatta together, going onto claiming gold at London 2012. The pair finished Day Ten's penultimate race in third place and established an unassailable lead ahead of the medal race on Day Twelve.
Shortly after his Olympic success on the waters of Weymouth he joined Artemis Racing for the 34th America’s Cup, with Outteridge moving from helmsman to skipper.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Wangi Wangi, NSW, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 5th (49er) 2012 London - 1st (49er)
- 1st - 2016 49er & 49erFX South American Championship Rio de Janerio, Brazil
- 2nd - 2016 49er & 49erFX European Championship Barcelona, Spain
- 2nd - 2016 Trofeo Princesa Sofia Palma de Majorca, Spain
- 6th - 2016 49er & 49erFX World Championship Clearwater, Florida, USA
- 8th - 2016 Sailing World Cup Miami Miami, USA
- Gold in the 2012 Olympics
- Four 49er World titles the most ever won by a sailor in this class
- Three Youth World Gold Medals
- St Josephs Primary School (NSW, Australia)
- St Paul's High School (NSW, Australia)
Emmett Lazich (2006 - current)
Wangi Sailing Club
Primary Training Base
Lake Macquarie, Australia
Secondary Training Base
- Can not wear any regatta clothing during the event
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Lake Garda, Italy
- Favourite music
- Kings of Leon
- Dream car
- Audi R8