Dual World Champion Mitch Larkin has his eye on gold at Rio. He won both the 100m and 200m backstroke at the Nationals. His 100m backstroke win (52.54) was just 0.04 off his world title time from Kazan. Larkin's personal best is the national and Commonwealth record of 52.11.
He enjoyed a stellar 2015 alongside fellow World Champion and girlfriend Emily Seebohm, becoming only the fourth person – and the first in 10 years - to complete the 100m-200m double at the World Championships. He also claimed multiple World Cup wins, set the 200m world short course record and was named FINA male swimmer of the year.
The Brisbane engineering student is coached by Michael Bohl at St Peters Western Swim Club alongside fellow Rio Team members Madeline Groves, Madison Wilson, Georgia Bohl, Bronte Barratt and Brittany Elmslie.
Larkin made his Olympic debut at London 2012 in the 200m backstroke where he made it through to the finals and finished eighth.
His Olympic journey began back in 2009 at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival where he competed in five events, winning silver in the 400m individual medley.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Backstroke Men, 200m Backstroke Men, 4 x 100m Medley Relay Men
Buderim, QLD, Australia
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- 2012 London - 8th (200m backstroke)
- 1st (100m backstroke), 1st (200m backstroke) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 1st (200m backstroke), 2nd (100m backstroke) - 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 1st (200m backstroke), 1st (100m backstroke) - 2016 Australian Open Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (100m backstroke), 1st (200m backstroke) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 1st (100m backstroke) – 2015 World Cup (Dubai, UAE)
- Winning both the 100m and 200m Backstroke at the 2015 World Championships in Kazan, Russia.
- Breaking the 200m backstroke shortcourse World Record in 2015.
- Wishart State School (QLD, Australia)
- John Paul College (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Engineering - Queensland University of Technology (2011 - )
Michael Bohl (2009 - current)
St Peters Western, Indooroopilly QLD AUS
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Good Aussie BBQ medium rare steak
- Favourite holiday destination
- Tokyo, Japan
- Favourite music
- Chet Faker or Flight Facilites
- Dream car
- There are too many to choose from.
- Personal Motto
- All the water in the entire ocean isn't able to sink a ship, only by the water it lets inside.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Most likely food
- I have the Olympic rings on my left hip
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2000 Sydney Olympics