Beijing 2008 silver medallist Melissa Wu will compete at her third Olympics after being selected for the Rio Games following the 2016 Australian Open Championships, which doubled as the Rio Nomination Trials in May in Melbourne.
Showing strong form over the last twelve months, the Sydney-born athlete won bronze in the 10m individual at this year’s World Cup in Rio, which doubled as the Olympic Test Event.
In Beijing Wu stormed through the women’s 10m synchronised platform event alongside Briony Bryant (nee Cole) to claim the silver medal. The Aussie duo had produced Australia’s best ever result in synchronised diving with Chen Ruolin and Xin Wang from the all-conquering home-team taking the gold. Wu also competed in the individual 10m platform and finished sixth.
In the thrilling London Olympic 10m individual platform final, Wu fell agonisingly short of the podium and finished fourth. Teammate Brittany Broben, 16, claimed silver behind China’s Chen Ruolin. Wu was also a competitor at the 2007 Australian Youth Olympic Festival where she claimed a bronze medal in the 10m platform and came fifth in the 3m springboard.
Wu’s siblings Joshua and Madeline are both seeking to follow in their older sister’s footsteps chasing their sporting dreams. The pair are both part of the Australian Weightlifting Federation’s junior squads.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
10m Platform Women
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 2012 London - 4th (10m platform) 2008 Beijing - 2nd (synchronised 10m platform); 6th (10m platform)
- 1st – 2016 Australian Open Championships (Melbourne, Australia)
- 12th – 2016 World Series (Kazan, Russia)
- 5th – 2016 World Series (Windsor, Canada)
- 3rd – 2016 World Series (Dubai, UAE)
- 3rd – 2016 World Series (Beijing, China)
- Winning silver in the 10m synchronised platform at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.
- Winning gold in the 10m synchronised platform with Alex Croak and silver in the 10m individual platform at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
- Winning bronze in the 10m platform individual at the 2016 World Cup in Rio, which was also the Olympic test event.
- Coverdale Christian School (NSW, Australia)
- Christian Outreach College Brisbane (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Commerce - Macquarie University
Chava Sobrino (2010 - current)
NSW Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Alternative and Pop
- Personal Motto
- Only as much as I dream can I be.
- Star Sign
- The Olympic Rings in the shape of hearts, top of my right leg - it is a symbol to represent the fact that I achieved my childhood dream of competing for Australia at the Olympic Games. I also have my personal motto tattooed on my left rib.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching the diving on television during the Sydney Olympics as a child. It inspired me to start diving.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My coach (Chava Sobrino) and my family.