Australian 100 metres record holder at 11.11 seconds, Melissa Breen claimed her fifth national 100 metres title in April to indicate she was on target for her second Olympics. But she still required the Olympic standard of 11.32 and after missing the mark by just 0.12 seconds, on 10 occasions, she finally nailed her qualifier in June in Townsville running 11.31.
Breen has had a long international career which started at the 2008 IAAF world juniors. She has competed at the Universiade, Commonwealth Games, World Cup, world championships and the London Olympics.
This year she celebrates a 10 year coaching relationship with Sydney Olympian, Matt Beckenham. Breen has a future career in the sport as she is currently coaching a junior group in the MattyB department squad.
Breen is a cat lover who adopted ‘Cleo’ from the RSPCA in 2015. Her motto is: ‘Just because it hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it's impossible.’
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Canberra, ACT, Australia
- London 2012 - 6th Heat (100m) 11.34 (1.5w)
- 6th (100m) - 2016 Golden Grand Prix (Kawasaki, Japan)
- 1st (100m) - 2016 Australian Athletics Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd (100m) - 2016 Sydney Track Classic (Sydney, Australia)
- 41st (100m) - 2015 IAAF World Championships (Beijing, China)
- 1st (100m) - 2015 Australian Athletics Championships (Brisbane, Australia)
- Breaking the 20 year old National 100m Record (11.11 seconds Feb 2014)
- Six-time Australian National Champion
- Winning 2012 Women’s Stawell Gift off scratch.
- St Anthony's Parish School (ACT, Australia)
- St Mary MacKillop College (ACT, Australia)
- Certificate 3 and 4 in Fitness - Australian Vocational Training Academy (2009 - 2010)
Matt Beckenham (2006 - current)
Athletics ACT, Australia
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Nasi Goreng
- Favourite holiday destination
- Anywhere on the beach
- Favourite music
- Pharrell Williams
- Dream car
- Personal Motto
- Just because it hasn't been done yet, don't mean it's impossible
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Three piercings in each ear lobe
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman 2000 Olympic Games
- First Olympic Memory?
- Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, walking into the stadium to watch the Women's 100m Heats
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Matt Beckenham
- Why this sport?
- Because it gives me joy, teaches me life lessons, creates amazing friendships and I get to see the world.