Following in the footsteps of his father Daniel and sister Chloe, Max Esposito took up Modern Pentathlon at the age of 13 after playing a variety of sports as a youngster.
He won gold at both the 2013 Oceania Championships in Kazakhstan and at the 2014 International Youth A Championships in Great Britain giving him the opportunity to get his first taste of the Olympics at the 2014 Nanjing Youth Games.
Esposito claimed 17th in the individual event in Nanjing before finishing 12th as a part of the mixed-relay. He continued to impress on the international stage in early 2015 with some strong results in senior competition that included 6th in the Kremlin Cup.
Full of confidence, Esposito headed to Beijing for the Asia/Oceania Championships where he defeated the best pentathletes in the region, winning the event and securing his position alongside his sister Chloe on the Australian Team for the Rio 2016 Games
Max’s coach and father Daniel competed at the 1984 Los Angeles Games while his sister Chloe made her Olympic debut at the 2012 London Games. His other sister Emily is a talented shooter who just missed Rio Olympic selection.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Maxibon or Maxi
Camden, NSW, Australia
- Rio will be Olympic debut
- Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games - Modern Pentathlon – 17th (Individual) & 12th (Team-relay Mix)
- 2nd - 2016 Central Asian Cup (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan)
- 61st - 2016 UIPM World Cup #1 (Cairo, Egypt)
- 6th - 2015 Champion of Champions (Doha, Qatar)
- 47th - 2015 Senior World Championships (Berlin, Germany)
- 1st – 2015 Asia/Oceania Championships (Beijing, China)
- Winning Olympic qualifier in Beijing to qualify for my first Olympics where I will compete alongside my elder sister Chloe.
- Qualifying for the World Cup final in Minsk, Belarus.
- Competing for Australia at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- St Francis Xavier Lurnea.
- De la salle, Revesby.
NSW Modern Pentathlon
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Anything that tastes good
- Favourite holiday destination
- France, Germany, Italy, England.
- Favourite music
- Anything that sounds good
- Dream car
- Anything that looks good
- Personal Motto
- Go hard or go home
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- When Cathy freeman won gold in 2000 Sydney Olympic Games for Australia.
- First Olympic Memory?
- Ian Thorpe breaking records
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My father who is also my coach
- Why this sport?
- Challenging me to be an all round athlete