With over 130 international caps to his name, Matthew Swann will make his second Olympic appearance for the men’s hockey team at Rio, hoping to add gold to his London bronze.
Having made his debut in late 2009, Swann won three of the four major tournaments in world hockey in less than 12 months as a part of the gold medal winning teams at the 2010 World Cup, Champions Trophy and Commonwealth Games.
The Mackay-born country boy became one of the most capped players of the year in 2011, playing 25 games for his nation including another Champions Trophy victory for Australia. His skill on the field saw him win the award for the World's Best Young Player as well as being named to the World All Star Team.
Swann proved he was a key member of the Australian defence in 2012 as he lined up in the green and gold in the international series against China and Japan and helped Australia claim the silver medal at the Olympic Test event in London. The Queenslander was one of youngest members at London where the side took home their second consecutive Olympic bronze medal.
In 2015, Swann was picked up by Dabang Mumbai in the Coal Hockey India League auction, after finishing his contract with the Mumbai Magicians. Bouncing back into action after missing out on his 2015 Hockey India League campaign due to a stress fracture in his left calf, Swann was named Danbang’s 2016 captain. Off the pitch, Swann is currently studying his degree in commerce, a field he'd like to pursue after a successful career in hockey.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
DIGGITY , Swanny
Gympie, QLD, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- 2012 London - 3rd (hockey)
- 1st – 2016 Champions Trophy (London, England)
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st - 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 1st – 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 1st – 2014 World Cup (The Hague, Netherlands)
- World Cup Winner x 2 (2010, New Delhi) (2014, Den Hague)
- 2012 London Olympics - Bronze
- Champions Trophy Winner x 4 (2009, Melbourne) (2010, Monchengladbach) (2011, Queenstown) (2012, Melbourne) World League Final Winner (2015, Raipur)
- West Mackay State School (QLD, Australia)
- Mercy College, St Patricks College (QLD, Australia)
- Bachelor of Commerce - Curtin University
Graham Reid (Mid 2014 - current)
Primary Training Base
- Always put my left sock, shoe and shin guard on before my right.
- Favourite food
- Chicken pie
- Favourite holiday destination
- Japan, Niseko, Hirafu Mountain in the winter.
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Ford Ranger
- Personal Motto
- If it were easy then it wouldn't be wort doing
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Olympic Rings, Rib Cage Left side, The only tattoo I was ever allowed to get.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Australian Mens Hockey Team 2004 Olympic Gold
- First Olympic Memory?
- Receiving all our Adidas Olympic gear.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Greg Browning
- Why this sport?