30-year-old Matt Abood will make his long awaited Olympic debut at the Rio Games, after claiming a 4x100m freestyle relay spot and an individual 50m freestyle swim.
The Sydney-born swimmer faced particular heartbreak in 2012 when he missed the London Team by 0.02 seconds after he finished third in the 50 freestyle. In 2010, at trials for the Commonwealth Games, he again missed a berth in both the 4x100 freestyle relay team and the 50 freestyle by a fraction of a second.
It was almost heartbreak again at the 2014 Commonwealth Games trials when Abood dead-heated for third with James Magnussen. The 2013 World Champion Magnussen went on to win the swim-off for the berth and Abood was left out of the squad. His change of fortune came at the expense of Eamon Sullivan, who had won the 50m freestyle final. Sullivan was forced to withdraw because of shoulder injury and Abood came in as his replacement for his first Commonwealth Games.
Mid-way through 2015 Abood moved from Sydney to Canberra to train with high performance swim coach Shannon Rollason. With less commuting to training and more time for rest, Abood has seen plenty of improvement in his performance.
At the 2015 World Championships in Kazan, Russia, he finished 11th in the 50m freestyle. He then went on to finish fifth in the 100m freestyle at this year’s trials in Adelaide where he logged his fastest effort in three years (48.89) to secure his spot in the 4x100m freestyle relay and a Games debut.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Men, 50m Freestyle Men
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 5th (50m freestyle) - 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 2nd (50m freestyle), 5th (100m freestyle) – 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (50m freestyle) – 2016 ACT Championships (Canberra, Australia)
- 11th (50m freestyle) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 10th (100m freestyle)– 2015 Australian Short Course Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- Winning gold in the 4x100m freestyle relay at the 2011 World Championships
- Pottsville Primary School (NSW, Australia)
- Kingscliff High School (NSW, Australia)
- Graduate Certificate in Commerce - Sydney University (2011 - current)
Shannon Rollason (2015 - current)
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Cinque Terre, Italy
- Favourite music
- Passion Pit
- Dream car
- Ferrari 458
- Personal Motto
- Do unto others as you would have done to yourself
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- A nice fruit juice
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be