Mark Knowles will make his fourth appearance in the men’s Olympic hockey team, on the hunt to replicate his Games debut where he walked away with the gold medal.
Having played for the Kookaburras since 2004, Knowles has gained significant experience at the highest level that has seen him become one of only two players that will take the field in Rio as part of his fourth consecutive Olympic Games. The Rockhampton born veteran was also crowned ‘International Player of the Year’ in 2014.
Knowles, the captain of the team, made his international debut in 2004 and at 20 years of age became the youngest in the team to win Olympic gold when Australia defeated the Netherlands in the final to claim their first ever Olympic title.
He became a Kookaburras regular and in 2007 he won the World's Best Young Player award. He returned to Olympic competition in Beijing but could not help Australia reach the final to defend their Olympic title as the team eventually finished with bronze. The same occurred in London where the side frustratingly brought home their second Olympic bronze medal.
He was a part of the 2010 and 2014 World Cup winning side and has three Commonwealth Games gold medals to his name. He has since neared 275 caps for his country with a second Olympic gold in his sights. Throughout his career he has also claimed five Champions Trophy titles. Knowles married Jamie Dwyer's younger sister Kelly in 2010.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Rockhampton , QLD, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- 2012 London - 3rd 2008 Beijing - 3rd 2004 Athens - 1st
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st – 2015 Oceania Cup Stratford, New Zealand)
- 1st - 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 1st – 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 1st – 2014 World Cup (The Hague, Netherlands)
- Winning the the Olympic Games gold medal in Athens, 2004.
- World Cup Gold Medal 2010 & 2014
- 3 x Commonwealth Games Gold Medal 2006, 2010, 2014
- Frenchville Primary School (QLD, Australia)
- North Rockhampton High School (QLD, Australia)
Graham Reid (2014 - current)
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Fresh Prawns
- Favourite holiday destination
- Byron Bay
- Favourite music
- Vance Joy
- Dream car
- Range Rover Sport
- Personal Motto
- Remember someone's always watching
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Coffee and carrot cake
- 1. Olympic Rings on left shoulder 2. 'Courage to succeed' on rib cage
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Catchy Freeman 2000
- First Olympic Memory?
- 1992 Olympic Games hockey
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- Family sport