Lisa Darmanin is set to make her Olympic debut at Rio 2016 in the Nacra 17 mixed multi-hull, alongside teammate and cousin Jason Waterhouse.
The pair have been sailing together for eight years, having claimed their first overseas medal together in 2009 winning the ISAF Youth Worlds in Buzios, Brazil. They both grew up on Sydney’s Northern Beaches and currently train at Middle Harbour Sailing Club.
2015 was a successful year for Darmanin and Waterhouse, winning the Rio Test Event and finishing second at the World Championships. Darmanin was also named Australian female sailor of the year in 2015.
She used to compete in Poetry Eisteddfods (and brought a few trophies home too)
Her heritage is 50% Maltese and 50% English, she can almost speak French.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be debut.
- 8th - 2016 Sailing World Cup Weymouth & Portland, Great Britain
- 5th - 2016 Sailing World Cup Hyeres Hyeres, France
- 5th - 2016 Nacra17 World Championship Clearwater, USA
- 2nd - 2016 Sailing World Cup Miami Miami, USA
- 1st - 2015 Rio Test Event, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Winning the Rio 2015 Test Event on Olympic waters
- Placing 2nd at the World Champs in 2015
- Bringing home a Bronze Medal at the ISAF Worlds in 2014
- Balgowlah Heights Pubic School
- Manly Selective Campus (Northern Beaches Secondary Collage, NSW) - Years 10-12, and Mosman High School - Years 7-9
- Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies) University of NSW (2010-2014)
Andrew Landenberger 2013 - present
Manly 16'Skiff Sailing Club, Middle Harbour Yacht Club
Australian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
- Never where a regatta T-Shirt during the regatta.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- The perfect balance of adventure and relaxation. Wherever that is in the world!
- Favourite music
- Anything I can dance to!
- Dream car
- Yellow Lamborghini
- Personal Motto
- Destiny is a matter of choice. It's not something to be waited for but something to be achieved
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Lunch with friends
- Earrings when I remember to put them in
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Rhythmic Gymnastics (I wouldn't be any good at it though!)
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Torah Bright Gold Medal Vancouver and three Golds from Aussie sailors in London 2012
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2000 Olympics, sitting in the crowd for Cameroon vs Spain in the Soccer Final with all the Aussies rooting for the underdog!
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My parents. So much support and showing by action that hard work and determination pays off.
- Why this sport?
- Firstly it's a family sport. Secondly for those times where its windy, you're just in control, you're going super fast powered by the elements and the adrenaline is pumping.