Leah Neale secured her spot on the 2016 Australian Olympic Team in the 4x200m freestyle relay by finishing fourth in the 200m freestyle at the Australian Swimming Championships.
The Olympic debutant trains alongside Australian teammates Taylor McKeown and Jake Packard on the Sunshine Coast under Coach Chris Mooney.
The USC Spartans swimmer was the first 15-year-old in the history of Australia to go under 2:00 for in the 200m freestyle.
She made her senior international debut at the 2014 World Short Course Championships before claiming a silver medal in the 400m freestyle at last year’s Australian Championships.
Since then she’s gone onto finish 26th in the 800m freestyle at the 2015 World Championships in Kazan, Russia and make the final of the 4x200 Freestyle relay at the 2015 World Championships in Kazan, Russia. She also claimed the 2015 Jose Finkel Trophy meet record in Brazil in the women’s 800m freestyle, in a time of 8:38.81. Neale took up the sport as a child after her parents got her in the pool to learn about water safety.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Women
Ipswich, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will Olympic debut
- 3rd (400m freestyle) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2nd (200m freestyle) – 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 4th (200m freestyle) – 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 3rd (200m freestyle) – 2016 NSW Open Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 3rd (4 x 200m freestyle relay) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Being the first 15-year-old in the history of Australia to go under 2:00 for the 200m freestyle.
- Making first Australian Senior team in 2014 for the World Short Course Championships (Doha).
- Participating in the final for the 4x200 Freestyle relay at the 2015 World Championships in Kazan.
- Silkstone State School (QLD, Australia)
- St Mary's College (QLD, Australia)
Christopher Mooney (2013-current)
USC Spartans, Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS)
Primary Training Base
University of Sunshine Coast
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Anything on iTunes top 100
- Dream car
- Cherry Red Ferrari
- Personal Motto
- My mum always says to me before a race, "give it your best and have fun" so I have just adopted that.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Hot Cinnamon donuts from Donut King
- Ear Piercings (2 on each side)
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Probably basketball because I used to play it
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- my mum
- Why this sport?
- My parents got me into it for water safety and I've enjoyed it ever since