Kyle Chalmers took up swimming after he was named in a team for a school swimming carnival at age nine in Port Lincoln, seven hours drive from Adelaide. At 18 years-old he'll make his Olympic debut in Rio.
The youngster claimed his spot on the 2016 Team with a standout performance in the men’s 100m freestyle (48.03), finishing second ahead of some of his more fancied rivals.
The 2014 Youth Olympian made his World Championships debut in July last year in Kazan, Russia with a fantastic 47.92 second leg in the men's 4x100m freestyle relay. He also raced in the 4x100m medley heats where he swam even faster (47.86sec) to guide that team to the final where they won the silver medal.
One week after competing in Russia he competed at the World Junior Championships in Singapore where he won seven medals, including three gold. He also took down Cameron McEvoy’s national 17 years record by winning the 100m freestyle in 48.47sec.
The Immanuel College student trains at the Marion Swimming Club in Adelaide in the High Performance squad coached by Peter Bishop alongside Sally Hunter and Andrew Abood. Chalmers’ is almost identical in size to his father Brett, who played AFL for Adelaide and Port Adelaide.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Freestyle Men, 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay Men, 4 x 100m Medley Relay Men
Ashford, SA, Australia
Glenelg North, SA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 2014 Nanjing - 3rd - 4 x 100 Mixed freestyle; 3rd - 4 x 100 Mixed Medley; 3rd - 4 x 100 IM
- 3rd (100m freestyle) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 2nd (100m freestyle) – 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (100m freestyle) – 2015 World Junior Championships (Singapore)
- 2nd (4x100m medley) - 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 13th (4x100m freestyle) - 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Australian Senior Team debut - 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia) and being presented with my Gold cap.
- 2015 Junior World Championships Singapore - GOLD 100m Freestyle, Broke the Championship record and Australian Age Record.
- 2015 Junior World Championships Singapore - GOLD 50m Freestyle.
- Saint Josephs School, Port Lincoln, SA, Australia
- Immanuel College, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Peter Bishop 2011-Current, Shelly Jarrett 2013-Current
Marion Swimming Club, Adelaide, South Australia
SASI - South Australian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- I always brush my teeth twice on the morning of race day, chew a Extra chewy on the way to the pool and eat a banana after my warm up.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Port Lincoln, Eyre Peninsula, South Australia, Australia
- Dream car
- Range Rover Evoque
- Personal Motto
- To always strive to do the best that I can do and enjoy what I do.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Farmers Union Iced Coffee
- Not applicable
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Sydney 2000 Olympics - 4 x 100 Mens Freestyle Relay
- First Olympic Memory?
- Athens 2004 Ian Thorpe vs Michael Phelps
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My Dad Brett
- Why this sport?
- I love competition and the experiences that it gives me.