Ken Wallace will be aiming for his third Olympic medal at his third Games in Rio after being selected in the K2 1000m and K4 1000m. Wallace, who placed fourth in London in the K2 1000m, is paired with Lachlan Tame in Rio.
Wallace's participation in the K4 1000m will be his fourth different event, since his Beijing Olympic debut.
Wallace made history by winning gold and bronze medals in the 500m and 1000m single kayak events respectively at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. He was the first Australian to win medals in both Olympic forms of individual paddling at the same Games. In his 500m gold-medal final, he defeated Canada’s Olympic champion Adam van Koeverden, unbeaten in the event since 2006.
With the K1 500m no longer on the Olympic program, Wallace remains the reigning Olympic champion and Olympic record holder in the event. After his 2008 win he was awarded an Order of Australia Medal (OAM) and he was Australia’s most successful male athlete at the Beijing Olympic Games.
The Gold Coast lifeguard stood on the podium 11 times in 2015 during the ICF World Series, often with his K2 teammate, Tame.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Canoe/Kayak - Sprint
K2 1000m Men, K4 1000m Men
Gosford, NSW, Australia
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
- 2012 London - 4th (K2 1000m) 2008 Bejing - 1st (K1 500m); 3rd (K1 1000m)
- 1st (K4 1000) – 2016 National Sprint Championships (Perth, Australia)
- 1st (K4 1000) – 2016 Oceania Sprint Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (K2 1000) – 2016 Oceania Sprint Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 2nd (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF World Championships (Milan, Italy)
- 1st (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF World Cup 1 (Montemor-o-Velho, Portugal)
- Winning gold and bronze at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
- Winning 5 x Taplin Relays in a row with Tugun Surf Club
- Marymount Primary School (QLD, Australia) / St Cecilias Primary School Wyong, (NSW, Australia)
- Marymount College (QLD, Australia)
Jimmy Owens (2000 - current)
AIS / QAS
Primary Training Base
Gold Coast, Australia
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Dad's homemade meat pie
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Anything I can adapt to racing
- Dream car
- Audi Q7 or Holden Club Sport
- Personal Motto
- Winners always want the ball when the game's on the line!
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Whatever makes me happy
- Olympic Rings on right forearm
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- First Olympic Memory?
- NO PAIN, NO SPAIN