The same year she claimed her maiden national water polo title, Keesja Gofers will make compete at her first Olympics as a driver for the Australian Women’s Water Polo Team. She secured her debut at Rio with a strong 2016 season, scoring three goals in the bronze medal match at the FINA World Super League Finals in China, helping Australia place third over the host nation.
The Sydney born athlete plays for the Sydney University Lions and co-captained the team, along with fellow Stinger, Lea Yanitsas, to the National Water Polo League title in March, 2016.
Gofers took up water polo to copy her sisters when she was 13 years-old. She made her international debut in 2010 and helped Australia claim silver at the 2013 FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain.
Athleticism runs in the Gofers family. Her sister, Taniele, competed at the 2008 Beijing Olympics winning the water polo bronze medal, and has represented Australia in European handball. Another of her sisters, Allira, plays European handball and beach handball for Australia.
Gofers graduated from Sydney University in 2012 with a Bachelor of Design in Architecture. She dates Australian handballer Scott Nicholson.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Water Polo Women
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd – 2016 FINA World League Super Final (Shanghai, China)
- 2nd – 2016 FINA World League Intercontinental Tournament (Texas, USA)
- 1st – 2015 Rio test event (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 2nd – 2015 FINA World League Super Final (Shanghai, China)
- 4th – 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- World Champs silver medallists 2013
- World Cup silver medallists 2014
- Junior world champions 2007
- Beecroft Primary School (NSW, Australia) (kindergaten-3) MLC Burwood (NSW, Australia) (4-6)
- MLC Burwood (NSW, Australia)
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture - Sydney Uni (2008-2012- )
Greg McFadden (2010 -current)
Sydney University, NSW, Australia
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- - always wear the same bra to all official games
- Favourite food
- Cookie and chocolate milk
- Favourite holiday destination
- blueys beach
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Anything that goes
- Personal Motto
- Dont wait for the ship to come, swim out to it
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- $5 lottery ticket and a cookie
- ears pierced.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- beach volleyball
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Eric Moussambani's (Eric the Eel) 2nd Olympic campaign, halving his Sydney 100m free time. Shows the power of hard work!
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching Cathy Freeman light the Sydney Olympic flame
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My boyfriend, Scott
- Why this sport?
- It's unlike any other sport and at the same time Water Polo has elements of lots of sport