The current national individual time trial champion Katrin Garfoot thanks her husband Chris for introducing her to the sport of cycling, whom without she would not be competing in her Olympic debut at Rio 2016.
The German born cyclist, now living on the Gold Coast, only started cycling at 29 and joined the Orica/AIS team during the 2014 season.
A highlight of her opening season was a bronze medal for Australia in the women’s time trial event at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
In her second World Championships Garfoot finished fourth in the individual time trial event highlighting her credentials as a strong medal chance in Rio.
The 34-year-old has spent the majority of her life living in Germany. After graduating high school she completed a Bachelor of Sport Science from the Technical University of Munich, before studying a Bachelor of Applied Human Biology through Unitec Auckland and a Diploma of Education through Griffith Univeristy, which she completed in 2011. She is a qualified high school teacher with a passion for kite surfing in her down time.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cycling - Road
Individual Time Trial Women, Road Race Women
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st (time trial) – 2016 Australian Championships (Ballarat, Australia)
- 8th (time trial) – 2016 Omloop van Borsele (Borsele, Netherlands)
- 1st (time trial) – 2015 Oceania Championships (Toowoomba, Australia)
- 4th (time trial) – 2015 UCI Road Cycling World Championships (Richmond, USA)
- 3rd (time trial) – 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 4th World Championships ITT in Richmond, USA, 2015
- 3rd Commonwealth Games ITT in Glasgow, Scottland, 2014
- 1st Australian National Championships ITT in Ballarat, 2016
- Grundschule am Bayernplatz (Munich, Germany)
- Oskar-von-Miller Gymnasium, Kaethe-Kollwitz-Gymnasium (Munich, Germany)
- Bachelor of Sport Science - Technical University Munich 2001-2006, Bachelor of applied Human Biology - Unitec Auckland 2007-2008, Diploma of Education - Griffith University Mt Gravatt 2010-2011
Kim Palmer, Glenn WIlson (2012-current), Paul Sales (2014-current)
Gold Coast Cycling Club, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Queensland Academy of Sport Australian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
Gold Coast, Australia
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Gnocchi with sage
- Favourite holiday destination
- 4WDriving in the Australian bush
- Favourite music
- Chill out
- Dream car
- Nissan Patrol 4liter diesel
- Personal Motto
- I am better than I think I am
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- had a belly button one, but it got infected, because the bike knicks were too high at the front and always rubbing and and hooking it.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- I am always fascinated by the gymnastic girls
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My husband, because he was the reason I got onto the bike in first place, and he was the one who told me I should race.
- Why this sport?
- Because my husband said I would be good at it