South Australian Joshua Palmer booked his ticket to his first Olympic Games, making his debut in the men’s 4x100m medley relay at Rio 2016.
Palmer impressed selectors with a 2nd place finish in the 100m Breaststroke behind fellow Team member, Jake Packard at the 2016 Australian Swimming Championships.
Palmer just missed out on the qualifying time by 0.76 seconds (1:00.51) in the individual event but was later selected in the event He'll also compete in the medley.
It’s been a busy four years for Palmer who claimed a gold medal in the open age group championships in 2012 then stepped it up in the senior ranks at the London 2012 trials, finishing third in the 50m Breakstroke (a non-Olympic event) behind Christian Sprenger and Brenton Rickard
Palmer, who claims he can hold his breath for over 3 minutes, finished third at the 2014 Short Course Championships in the men’s 100m, and claimed a silver medal in the 50m race.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Breaststroke Men
Rose Park, SA, Australia
- 2nd - (100m Breaststroke) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 1st - (50m Breakstroke), 2nd - (100m Breaststroke) - 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 2nd - (50m Breaststroke) - 2015 Australian Short Course Swimming Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 1st - (50m Breaststroke) - 2014 Australian Short Course Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 3rd - (100m Breaststroke) - 2014 Australian Short Course Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- Finishing second in the 100m Breaststroke at the 2016 Australian Swimming Championships
- Winning the men's 4 x 100m Medley relay at the 2015 Australian Champships
- First open age group medal (bronze) at the 2012 Olympic trials in 50m breastroke - finished behind my idols Christian Sprenger and Brenton Rickard
Marion SC (Adelaide, South Australia, Australia)
Primary Training Base
- Favourite holiday destination
- I'd really like a holiday!
- Favourite music
- Bush 16 stone album
- Dream car
- Dodge Viper (c'mon lotto!)
- Personal Motto
- "Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain"
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Zinger box from KFC
- Yin Yang - Life needs balance.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Athletics - 100m
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Mens 4x100 Freestyle relay 2000 Olympics & Natalie Coughlin 100 Backstroke 2004 Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2000 Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My Dad
- Why this sport?
- Best sport for both individual and team acheivment