Jordan Wood will make his Olympic debut at the Rio Olympic Games. He and Riley Fitzsimmons earned selection in the 1000m pool after their performance to finish a close 3rd behind Wallace/Tame and Stewart/Clear at the selection trials.
Wood started paddling at a very young age, growing up by the water with two Olympic kayakers for parents. His late father Steve Wood was in the Australian K4 team that won bronze in the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. His mother Anna won bronze in the K2 500m for Australia in Atlanta in1996 and placed sixth in the Sydney 2000 Games. Anna is currently coaching the national women’s canoe sprint team.
He had his first taste of Olympic glory at the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival where he won gold in the K2 1000 and silver in the K1 1000 and K2 200.
Along with his K2 partner, Fitzsimmons, the duo took home gold at the 2015 ICF U23 World Championships in Portugal. They defeated the 2015 World Championship silver medallists and Olympians Ken Wallace and Lachlan Tame in the first 2016 Grand Prix regatta in West Lakes, putting them on the Rio radar.
When he’s not training and competing, Wood is a beach lifeguard and is studying a Certificate 4 in Paramedical Science.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Canoe/Kayak - Sprint
K2 200m Men, K4 1000m Men
Tugun, QLD, Australia
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd (K2 1000) – 2016 National Sprint Championships (Perth, Australia)
- 3rd (K2 1000) – 2016 Oceania Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF U23 World Championships (Montemor-o-Velho, Portugal)
- 5th (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF World Cup 1 (Montemor-o-Velho, Portugal)
- 10th (K2 1000) – 2015 ICF World Cup 2 (Duisburg, Germany)
- Winning gold at the U23 2015 World Championships in K2 1000
- Winning silver at the U23 2014 World Championships in K1 1000
- Qualifying for the K4 1000m event in Rio
- Palm Beach High School
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- pork belly
- Favourite holiday destination
- Dream car
- r34 GTR Skyline nur spec v
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Eddy the eagle