A decade after making his international senior team debut, John “Johnno” Cotterill will make his second Olympic appearance in Rio after the Aussie Sharks placed 5th in the 2016 World League Super Final in Huizhou, China.
Cotterill won silver at the 2003 Australian Youth Olympic Festival before making his international debut in 2006. The following year he made his World Championships debut on home soil on Melbourne.
He won bronze medals at the World League Finals in 2007 and 2008. A year later he was part of the Australian team that won the gold medal by defeating the host nation at the 2009 World University Games in Serbia.
Cotterill moved to Europe for five years to play water polo professionally, living in Barcelona, Chios and Athens. He returned home from Greece in 2012 and was selected to compete at his first Olympic Games in London, where Australia placed seventh after going down 8-11 to Serbia.
Cotterill has a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of New South Wales and is currently working as a Product Manager at Westpac Bank in Sydney.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Water Polo Men
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- London Olympics - 7th (water polo)
- 5th - 2016 World League Super Final (Huizhou, China)
- 2nd - 2016 World League Intercontinental Tournament (Yokohama, Japan)
- 1st – 2015 FINA World League Intercontinental Tournament (California, USA)
- 5th –2015 FINA World League Super Final, Bergamo, Italy
- 8th – 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Debut World Championships at home in 2007 in Melbourne
- Olympic Games London 2012
- Winning World University Games 2009 - Belgrade
- Kensington Public School (Sydney)
- Randwick Boys High School (Sydney)
- Bachelor of Commerce - University of New South Wales (2006 - 2012)
Dusan Kristic - 2014-2016, Elvis Fatovic 2013-2016, Chris Wybrow - 2011-2016
Sydney University Lions
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
NSW Institute of Sport
- Score the last goal in warm up
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Domestic - Yamba International - Hawaii
- Favourite music
- Hip hop
- Dream car
- Ford Laser
- Personal Motto
- Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Banana Smoothie
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Men's 4x100 relay in Sydney and Water Polo women in Sydney
- First Olympic Memory?
- Opening ceremony in Barcelona 1992
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- I love it and it's probably the only thing I am good at