Jessica Ashwood secured her place on a second Olympic team with outstanding swims in both the 400m and 800m freestyle events at the selection trials in Adelaide. Ashwood defeated teenager Tamsin Cook in both events, to win the 400m in 4:03.71 just outside her Australian record. Her big 800m win in 8:18.42, was 0.01 outside her Australian record - when fourth at the 2015 World Championships.
Ashwood kicked off her Olympic journey when she won two silver medals (400m and 800m freestyle) and two bronze medals (4x100m and 4x200m freestyle) at the 2009 Australian Youth Olympic Festival.
In 2012 she made her Olympic debut in London, finishing 7th in her 800m freestyle heat and 20th overall. Her breakthrough meet was the 2015 World Championships where she placed third in the 400m freestyle setting a new Australian record of 4:03.34. She set another Australian record in the 1500m (15:52.17) and placed fourth in the 800m freestyle, with her third personal best time for the competition.
At the Santa Clara Grand Prix in July this year in the US she won the 800m freestyle and set a new national mark of 8:18.14, improving on her own time.
When Ashwood was in her early teens she discovered she has severe scoliosis, with the muscle development in her back now following the S-bend of her spine. She has physiotherapy sessions twice a week to put her back into alignment after training. She’s currently studying a Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice with a Bachelor of Psychological Science at Griffith University, inspired by both her parents who are police officers.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Women, 400m Freestyle Women, 800m Freestyle Women
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- 2012 London - 20th (800m Freestyle)
- 1st (800m freestyle and 400m freestyle) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Queensland)
- 1st (800m freestyle and 400m freestyle) - 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 1st (800m freestyle and 400m freestlye) - 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 4th (800m freestyle), 3rd (400m freestyle) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 6th – 800m freestyle – 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Great Britain)
- Coming third in the Women's 400 Freestyle at the World Championships in Russia 2015
- Being selected for my second Olympic Team
- Regina Coeil Beverly Hills (NSW, Australia)
- MLC Sydney, Burwood (NSW, Australia)
- Bachelor of Criminology and Criminal Justice/ Bachelor of Psychological Science - Griffith University (2014-)
Vince Raleigh (2014-current)
Chandler Swim Club
Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Anything and everything
- Dream car
- Subaru WRX STI 2015
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Olympic Rings on the side of my hip
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Water polo
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman winning gold at the 2000 Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- Attending the athletics in 2000
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Mum and Dad
- Why this sport?
- Always loved being in the water