Jason Whateley from Sale in Victoria is set to make his Olympic debut after securing a bronze medal and Rio qualification at the 2016 Asia/Oceania Olympic Qualification Tournament in China in early April.
The 25-year-old starting boxing through his local football club, after being asked to participate in an amateur competition. Having only trained for six weeks, Whateley won the bout by knocking out his opponent, and his addiction to the sport began.
The 196cm ‘man-mountain’ won back-to-back National 91kg heavyweight titles in 2015 and 2016, after previously receiving four silver medals at previous Australian championships.
After narrowly missing his chance for the London 2012 Games, with a silver at the Australian qualifying event, Whateley represented Australia at both the 2013 and 2015 world boxing championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan and in Doha, Qatar.
Outside of the ring, Whateley is a qualified personal trainer, runs his own gym ‘Pure Boxing’ where he works alongside elite swimmers and members of the AFL club Hawthorn.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Sale, VIC, Australia
Box Hill South, VIC, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 3rd (91kg heavyweight division) – 2016 Asia/Oceania Olympic Qualification Tournament (Qian’an, China)
- 1st (91kg heavyweight division) – 2016 Australian Championships (Gold Coast, Australia)
- 1st (91kg heavyweight division) – 2015 Australian Championships (Gold Coast, Australia)
- 2nd (91kg heavyweight division) – 2015 OCBC Oceania Confederation Boxing Championships (Canberra, AUS)
- (91kg heavyweight division) – 2015 Doha International Tournament (Doha, Qatar)
- Representing Australia at both the 2013 and 2015 World Boxing Championships in Almaty, Kazakhstan and in Doha, Qatar
- Winning the Australian Championships in 2015 and 2016, both on the Gold Coast.
- Winning gold at the Arafura Games in Darwin, 2011.
- St. Brendans Catholic Primary School Lake's Entrance (VIC, Australia)
- Lakes Entrance Secondary College (VIC, Australia)
- Certificate 4 - Meat Retailing and Butchering
Gerry Murphy (2010-present)
Murphys Boxing Gym (Surrey Hills, Victoria, Australia)
Primary Training Base
Murphys Boxing Gym
- Favourite food
- Chicken Parmy
- Favourite holiday destination
- any overseas holiday is fantastic
- Favourite music
- hip hop/rap
- Dream car
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- a coffee
- i have my left arm and left side of chest tattooed but no piercings. my design on my arm has a few different meanings. The base of the design is based around warriors and bravery.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman's 400m gold medal in Sydney.
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching the swimming with my family on tv
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- my parents
- Why this sport?
- I have always loved boxing and any combat sport. I love how challenging it is.