Twelve years after his Olympic debut and eight years after his last Games, James Stanton-French will contend his third Olympics in Rio with the Australian Sharks as the most experienced player on the team.
The imposing 6’5” (200cm) goalkeeper was born in Perth and started playing water polo when he was 12. Stanton-French made his Olympic debut at Athens in 2004 and competed again in Beijing, 2008. The Sharks placed ninth and eighth respectively.
Stanton-French has played in five senior World Championships, the first in Spain in 2003; and most recently when Australia placed eighth at the 2015 Championships in Russia. He placed ninth in his first junior World Championships in Turkey in 2001
Stanton-French played professionally in Spain for four years, competing for various Spanish water polo teams. He also has been assistant coach and manager for junior teams at the WAIS.
After Rio he wants to start a family with his wife Sarah and continue his career as a primary school teacher.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Water Polo Men
Mudgee, NSW, Australia
Nedlands, WA, Australia
- 2004 Athens - 9th (water polo) 2008 Beijing - 8th (water polo)
- 5th - 2016 World League Super Final (Huizhou, China)
- 2nd - 2016 World League Intercontinental Tournament (Yokohama, Japan)
- 1st – 2015 FINA World League Intercontinental Tournament (California, USA)
- 8th – 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Making the 2004 Olympic team
- Making the 2008 Olympic team
- Playing 4 years professionally in Spain
- Nedlands Primary, WA, Australia
- Hollywood Senior High School, WA, Australia
- Bachelor of Arts (History) - Murdoch University (2007-2011)
Elvis Fatovic 2012-current
Victorian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
- To not have any
- Favourite food
- Slow cooked meat
- Favourite holiday destination
- Rottnest Island
- Favourite music
- Black Keys, Disclosure, Hozier, Florence and the Machine
- Dream car
- Mini Cooper S
- Personal Motto
- Some days you win, some days you learn
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Coffee and a Caramel Slice
- "Made in Australia" tattoo on left shoulder blade. Meaning is relatively self explanatory
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Steven Bradbury
- First Olympic Memory?
- Watching the Australian Women's Water Polo team win Gold in Sydney
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My wife
- Why this sport?
- All my friends were doing it at Primary School, so I went down to Claremont Dolphins to give it a shot. Couldn't swim so they put me in goals, been stuck there ever since!