Jake Whetton will make his Olympic debut at Rio, as part of an evenly balanced men’s hockey team that boasts experience and new talent. Whetton’s hockey career began at just four-years-old when he followed in the footsteps of his parents and played for his local club, the Eastern Suburbs Tigers in Brisbane.
Nick-named “Whetty”, this Brisbane boy made his debut for the senior team in 2011 and was selected in the 2012 Olympic development squad ahead of the London Games but would have to wait another Olympic quad before making his debut. Over the next five years, Whetton has been an ever-present force in Australian hockey claiming over 100 international caps.
The 25-year-old was a member of the 2016 Coal Hockey India League winning team, the Jaypee Punjab Warriors, where he played alongside four other Australian representatives in the six week league.
The forward credits 1976 Olympic silver medal winner Greg Browning as one of those to have had the strongest influence on his career. Encouraging him to attend training sessions with the likes of former Kookaburras Dean Butler and Stephen Lambert back in his hometown in Queensland gave Whetton the training and confidence needed to rise to the top.
A health and fitness fanatic, Jake has ambitions to take up hockey coaching and to travel extensively around Europe in his post-playing career.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Brisbane , QLD, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st - 2015 World League Final (Raipur, India)
- 1st – 2015 Oceania Cup Stratford, New Zealand)
- 1st - 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- 3rd – 2014 Champions Trophy (Bhubaneswar, India)
- 1st - 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- 2014 Hockey World Cup Gold Medal
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Gold Medal
- Champions Trophy 2012 Gold Medal
- Calamvale State School
- Clairvaux Mackillop College Brisbane Queensland Australia
Graham Reid 2015-Current
Queensland Blades, Australia
Hockey Australia Contract, Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
- Run the warm up laps with shoe laces untied
- Favourite food
- Curried Sausages/ Bacon and Egg Pie/ Hamburger
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Dream car
- Range Rover Sport
- Personal Motto
- The harder you work the harder it it to surrender
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Souther Cross (back) Kookaburra (Left Side) A "Quote" (right side)
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- 2004 Hockey Gold Medal
- First Olympic Memory?
- 200 sydney Olympics
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- Because i love it