After a decade in the sport, Jake Packard will make his Olympic debut at the Rio 2016 Games after winning the 100m breaststroke in a time of 59.57seconds, just 0.08 under the Australian qualifying time. Inspired by former Australian teammate Christian Sprenger’s silver at London 2012, Packard will be aiming for a podium spot this August in both the 100m and the 4x100 medley relay.
The Queenslander grew up in Noosa and started swimming at the aquatic centre when he was 11. He trialled for the London Olympics when he was 17 but didn’t make a semi-final. At the time he thought four years wouldn’t be enough time to prepare for Rio so he began focusing on the Tokyo 2020 Games.
A year later he was thinking about retiring from swimming but instead moved to Brisbane to train with current coach Chris Mooney, who was working at Indooroopilly at the time. He then made the move to the Gold Coast when Mooney took a coaching job at the University of the Sunshine Coast.
It was a risk which paid off for Packard, who went on to finish fifth at the 2015 World Championships in the 100m breaststroke. He also won silver in the 4x100m medley relay.
Training and working has been a juggling act for Packard, who gets up at 4am to train then works all day in a warehouse and training again at night.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Breaststroke Men, 4 x 100m Medley Relay Men
Penrith, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be debut.
- 3rd (100 breaststroke) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 1st (100m backstroke) – 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 5th (100m backstroke) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 2nd (4x100m medley relay) - 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- 2nd 4x100 relay world championships Russia 2015
- St Andrews Anglican College (Qld, Australia)
- Bachelor Of Science
Chris Mooney (2013-2016)
University of the Sunshine Coast
Primary Training Base
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
- Favourite food
- Pork belly roast
- Favourite music
- Ben Howard, rufus, foals
- Dream car
- Jaguar-f type
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Give it away to someone who needs it more.
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Christian Sprenger 2nd 100 breaststroke