Jack McLoughlin will make his Olympic debut after smashing his personal best at the Australian Swimming Championships in the men’s 1500m freestyle.
McLoughlin finished in second place behind fellow Rio teammate Mack Horton, clocking 14.48.60.
McLoughlin had his first taste of Olympic glory at the 2013 Australian Youth Olympic Festival, winning gold in the 4 x 200m freestyle relay. He narrowly missed out on two more medals, placing fourth in the 1500m freestyle and 400m freestyle events.
The Queensland born athlete came home with a silver medal and a fifth place from the 2015 World University Games in South Korea in the 400m and 1500m freestyle events. The same year he took our the national Short Course Championships 1500m freestyle title.
The long distance freestyler is studying engineering at the Queensland University of Technology
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
1500m Freestyle Men
South Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 2nd (1500m freestyle) - 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 2nd (1500m) - 2016 Australian Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 1st (1500m) - 2016 NSW Open Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 1st (1500m freestyle)– 2015 Australian Short Course Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd (400m freestyle), 5th (1500m freestyle) – 2015 World University Games (Gwangju, South Korea)
- Coming 2nd in 1500m freestyle at 2016 Australian Olympic trials and qualifying for first Olympics
- Silver in World Uni Games in 400m free in Gwanju 2015
- St Agatha's Primary School, Brisbane (queensland, Australia)
- St Joseph's Nudgee College, (Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)
- Bachelor of Engineering-Queensland University of Technology (2014-
Vince Raleigh (2015-current)
Chandler, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Queensland Academy of Sport
Primary Training Base
- heat and final shoes,
- Favourite food
- Butter Chicken
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Rock, Hip Hop, Hipster
- Dream car
- Aston Martin
- Personal Motto
- Gotta Risk It to get the Biscuit
- Star Sign
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- 7's rugby
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Grant Hackett 2004 1500m free
- First Olympic Memory?
- Sydney 2000 marathon
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Mum and Dad
- Why this sport?
- Always loved swimming as a kid and eventually it just grew on my competitively