After diving for 19 years, South African-born Grant Nel will make his Olympic debut at the Maria Lenk Aquatic Centre in Rio in the men’s 3 metre springboard. His selection came after a strong performance at the Australian Open Championships, which doubled as Rio selection trials, where he was crowned National Champion.
Nel switched from gymnastics to diving when he was nine, after he broke both his hands. He then trained in the school pool in South Africa under their national coach until he moved to Australia.
Mid-way through 2015 he made the move to Adelaide to train at the South Australian Institute of Sport, with National Coach Michel Larouche, as part of his Olympic preparation.
He comes from a strong sporting family, with his mother representing South Africa in gymnastics at the World Championships.
Nel, who spent much of his secondary school years living on a farm in Victoria, won a bronze at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and a bronze and silver at the 2014 Commwealth Games.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
3m Springboard Men
Johannesburg, South Africa
Seacombe Gardens, SA, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st – 2016 Australian Open Championships (Melbourne, Australia)
- 16th – 2016 Grand Prix (Windsor, Canada)
- 13th – 2016 FINA World Cup (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 1st – 2015 Oceania Championships (Melbourne, Australia)
- Winning a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, 2010.
- Winning a bronze and silver medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasglow 2014.
- Competed in five FINA Diving World Championships ’07,’09,’11,’13, ‘15 Competed in four FINA Diving World Cups ’08,’10,’12,’14,’16 Texas A&M Four-Year Letterman 2009-20012 Nine time Swimming and Diving All American, Including five top three finishes at NCAAs Three Individual Big 12 titles
- St Stithians (Gauteng, South Africa)
- Yarra Valley Grammar School (VIC, Australia)
- Bachelor of Exercise Science - Australia Catholic University (2007 - 2008), Bachelor of Science - Texas A&M Univeristy (2009 - 2012)
Michel Larouche 2014 - Current
Ringwood Diving Club, Ringwood, Victoria, Australia
South Australian Institute of Sport, Victorian Institute of sport
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Roast Lamb and BBQ Prawns
- Favourite holiday destination
- On the beach in Bermigue, NSW.
- Favourite music
- Aaussie hiphop, punk rock and R&B
- Dream car
- Bugati Veyron
- Personal Motto
- Why not?
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Cheese burger
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Ariel skiing or Skeleton
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Matthew Mitcham winning Gold in beijing 2008 on 10meter