Grant Irvine swam a 1:55.73 in the 200m butterfly final to sneak under the qualifying standard by just 0.02 seconds and book his ticket for his debut Olympic Games in Rio. In a captivating final Morgan and good friend Grant Irvine dragged each other to the wall and both booked their tickets to Rio.
He again finished in second behind Morgan in the 100m butterfly with a time of 51.76 missing the qualifying standard by 0.25 seconds. He was later selected in the event.
Having missed out on qualifying for the London 2012 Games, the Queenslander became Australia’s second fastest man ever in the 200m butterfly event in early 2013. He swam a 1:55.32 to sit only behind Australian record holder Nick D’Arcy in the event.
Irvine finished with the silver medal at the 2014 Commonwealth Games behind South Africa’s Chad le Clos. Irvine finished in a time 1:56.34, 1.27 seconds behind le Clos who broke the Games record in the final. He competed in the 200m butterfly at the 2015 World Championships, finishing 8th in his semi in a time of 1:57.94 in Kazan, Russia.
He has a twin, loves snowboarding, beach volleyball and he used to swim backstroke
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
100m Butterfly Men, 200m Butterfly Men
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 2nd (200m butterfly) - 2016 Brisbane Grand Prix (Brisbane, Australia)
- 7th (200m butterfly) - 2016 Santa Clara Grand Prix (Santa Clara, USA)
- 2nd (100m butterfly and 200m butterfly) - 2016 Australian Swimming Championships (Adelaide, Australia)
- 7th (100m butterfly), 3rd (200m butterfly) - 2016 Victorian Open Championships (Melbourne, Australia)
- 15th (200m butterfly) – 2015 World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- Making the Olympic Team for Rio
- Qualifying for my 1st World's team in 2013 in Adelaide
- Winning Silver at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014
- Jamboree Heights State School, QLD, AUS
- Centenary State High School QLD, AUS
- Queensland University of Technology Bachelor of Business - Accounting 2009-2014
Michael Bohl (2004 - Current)
St Peter's Western, Indooroopilly, QLD, AUS
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Roast Lamb
- Favourite holiday destination
- Any Beach
- Favourite music
- cold play
- Dream car
- ferrari 458
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Phelps 2008
- First Olympic Memory?
- 2000 australia 4x100 free relay
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Michael Bohl
- Why this sport?
- I love being in the water/ i love pushing myself to new limits