Canberran Gracie Elvin has raced in 12 World Cups and two World Championships in cross country mountain biking. However she will line up for the cycling road race in Rio when she makes her Olympic debut in 2016.
Elvin was a horse rider until she was 18 before she turned her focus to cycling. She burst into the spotlight in 2012 when she won gold in the Oceania Cycling Championships road race, and silver in the time trial. She competed in her first international tour the following year and claimed a handful of stage podium finishes.
A member of the Orica/AIS team, she represented her nation at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games where she finished sixth in the race.
The consecutive Australian Road Race Champion (2013 and 2014) took her first two international victories in 2015, winning gold at the Gooik-Geraardsbergen-Gooik tour in Belgium and winning a stage during the Internationale Thuringen Rundfahrt der Frauen in Germany.
Still living and training in her home city, she is currently studying a Bachelor of Science at the University of Canberra Majoring in Nutrition and Physiology.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cycling - Road
Road Race Women
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Canberra, ACT, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 4th (road race) – 2016 Australian Championships (Buninyong, Australia)
- 1st (road race) – 2016 Gooik-Geraardsbergen-Gooik (Belgium)
- 2nd (road race) – 2016 Women's World Tour Ronde van Drenthe (Netherlands)
- 5th (road race) – 2016 Overall Ladies Tour of Qatar (Qatar)
- 6th (road race) – 2014 Commonwealth Games (Glasgow, Scotland)
- Winning both 2013 and 2014 National Road Race Championships, Ballarat
- Representing Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games, Glasgow
- Winning my first European race, Gooik-Geraardsbergen-Gooik, in Belgium 2015
- Yarralumla Primary School (ACT, Australia)
- Alfred Deakin High School (ACT, Australia)
- Bachelor of Science - University of Canberra (2010 - )
Neil Ross (2008-current)
Canberra Cycling Club, ACT, Australia
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- All food!
- Favourite holiday destination
- Anywhere in Australia
- Favourite music
- All music
- Dream car
- 1970's Porshe
- Personal Motto
- You make your own luck
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- My husband and family.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman's win at the Sydney Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- Marching in Greece's colours at my primary school Olympic day
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My mum and dad
- Why this sport?
- I always loved riding bikes as a kid, and love it just as much now. I love the combination of fitness, mental toughness and tactics to be able to win.