Glencora McGhie will contend her second Olympic Games in Rio as part of the Australian Women’s Water Polo Team, along with fellow Western Australian Freemantle Marlins water polo teammates Zoe Arancini, and Gemma Beadsworth.
The Geraldton born centre back/driver's talent was identified early as she helped Australia to the gold medal at the 2007 Junior World Championships. She amassed over 100 caps for her nation by the age of 23 and became a senior member of the Stingers squad in the process.
McGhie made her Olympic debut in 2012, coming home with the bronze medal in a penalty shoot out over Hungary. The following year she helped Australia claim silver at the World Cup in Barcelona.
McGhie showed her decade of experience in the FINA Word League Final in February, 2016 when Australia defeated Olympic rivals China 12-10, with McGhie scoring five of the Stingers 12 goals. In June she helped Australia claim bronze at the World League Super Finals in Shanghai, China with a 10-3 victory over the host nation.
Out of the pool, McGhie is a qualified dental therapist and lives with husband and water polo player Brett in Perth. She wants to start a family when she hangs up her swimmers.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Water Polo Women
Glen, Glenny, Cokes
Geraldton, WA, Australia
Perth, WA, Australia
- 2012 London- 3rd (water polo)
- 3rd – 2016 FINA World League Super Final (Shanghai, China)
- 2nd – 2016 FINA World League Intercontinental Tournament (Texas, USA)
- 1st – 2015 Rio test event (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- 2nd – 2015 FINA World League Super Final (Shanghai, China)
- 4th – 2015 FINA World Championships (Kazan, Russia)
- London Olympic experience and bronze medal win!
- 2013 Barcelona World Championships experience and silver medal.
- Tambrey PS (Karratha, WA) Exmouth District High, Marri Grove PS (WA, AUS)
- Emmanuel Catholic College, WA, AUS
- Curtin University of Technology
Greg McFadden 2006-current
Melville Water Polo Club, WA AUS
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- I'll take any holiday I can get, but I do quite enjoy Italy or Spain
- Favourite music
- I'm quite random so a wide variety of music tickles my fancy.
- Dream car
- Luxury 4x4
- Personal Motto
- Before each game I usually say to the person next to me "Let's just win!"
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Food... Always
- Only my ears are pierced
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Beach Volleyball
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Our own performance in the extra-time and penalty shoot out quarter final win over China 2012
- First Olympic Memory?
- I used to always love watching the gymnastics and swimming when I was younger.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My mum- for the ridiculous amount of hours she has spent driving me to training and allowing me to get where I am today.
- Why this sport?
- I was a decent swimmer but wanted more excitement which came thru being in a team sport