Georgia Baker’s Olympic dream will come true in Rio after the 21-year-old was selected as a part of the team pursuit team for the 2016 Games.
Having tried a number of sports as a youngster including swimming, netball and taekwondo, Baker turned to cycling after participating in a sports testing program at her primary school. She would later be identified as a potential track star by the Tasmanian Institute of Sport.
She was a part Australia’s back-to-back U19 world title wins in 2011 and 2012 as highlighted her credentials as a future track cycling star. She also claimed a gold and silver medal in the non-Olympic scratch race across the two events.
Baker claimed Oceania gold in the Omnium event at the 2016 Oceania Championships and also took out the non-Olympic individual pursuit title.
The Tasmanian lined up at her first senior World Championships in 2016 where she competed alongside Rio 2016 teammates Annette Edmondson, Amy Cure and Ashlee Ankudinoff. The quartet qualified fourth fastest for the first round but went down to the eventual gold medallists USA. They went on to overlap Italy to finish fifth.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cycling - Track
Team Pursuit Women
Launceston, TAS, Australia
Perth, TAS, Australia
- Rio will be Olympic debut
- 5th (team pursuit) - 2016 World Championships (London, UK)
- 1st (Omnium) 1st (individual pursuit) – 2016 Oceania Championships (Invercargill, New Zealand)
- 1st (team pursuit) - 2015 World Cup (Cambridge, New Zealand)
- Winning three Junior World Track Championships (2x Teams Pursuit & 1x Scratch Race)
- 2015 Teams Pursuit World Cup Champions - New Zealand. This was the first time I had raced with the 'A' team so to win was a major highlight for me.
- 1st in General Classification - National Road Series - 2015 Tour of the King Valley
- Perth Primary School (TAS, Australia)
- Years 7-10: Scotch Oakburn College (TAS, Australia) Years 11-12: Launceston College (TAS, Australia)
Matthew Gilmore 2013 - 2016, Ian McKenzie 2015 - 2016, Gary Sutton 2015-2016
Longford Esk Cycling Club
Cycling Australia High Performance & Tasmanian Institute of Sport
Primary Training Base
Tasmania (Perth & Launceston)
Secondary Training Base
- I always wear my necklace when I race - I makes me feel like my dad is always with me.
- Favourite food
- Raspberry & White Chocolate Cheesecake
- Favourite holiday destination
- My favourite would be Queensland (Goldcoast) and camping with my family at the Nile River, Evandale TAS.
- Favourite music
- I listen to lots of different genres but mainly whatever is hot at the time.
- Dream car
- Personal Motto
- I try to live each day as if it's the last.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Thats a tough one - probably some type of food :p
- Only my ears pierced - no meaning
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Kurt Fearnley - Gold in the Marathon 2008 Beijing Paralympic Games
- First Olympic Memory?
- I remember watching the Olympics on TV with my family and I used to have my own spreadsheet and record all the medals that Australia had won and what events they were in.
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My Dad.
- Why this sport?
- I love the adrenaline rush you get when racing in the Velodrome. I love the toughness of the sport and being rewarded for the hard work you have put in.