A silver medal behind Madeline Hills at the 2016 National Championships helped book Genevieve LaCaze on the plane to Rio and a chance to compete at her second Olympic Games.
In the leadup to Rio, Lacaze has been in terrific form. Over 50 days in May and June she has run seven consecutive personal bests (800m, 3 x 5000m, 3 x 3000m Steeplechase) highlights have been moving to third fastest Australian ever in the steeplechase and achieving her first 5000m Olympic qualifier. As she was the current national 5000m champion, she was an automatic selection in this event in the final round of selections in July 2016.
LaCaze kick-started her athletics career when she accepted an athletics scholarship at the University of Florida in America in 2008. She completed a Bachelor of Applied Physiology and Kinesiology while representing the university on the athletics track.
LaCaze shaved 14 seconds off her personal best time in the space of five days to qualify for the London 2012 Games in the 3000m steeplechase. She finished ninth in her heat with another PB, placing her 22nd overall.
After placing fifth at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, LaCaze became an internet and news sensation when she joined Kylie Minogue on stage at the closing ceremony. Now living and training in Melbourne, LaCaze dates fellow London Olympian, training partner and 1500m runner Ryan Gregson.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
3000m Steeplechase Women, 5000m Women
Benowa, QLD, Australia
Florida, United States
- 2012 London – 22nd (3000m steeplechase)
- 6th (3000m Steeple) - 2016 Bislett Diamond League (Oslo, Norway)
- 6th (5000m) - 2016 Birmingham Diamond League (Birmingham, GBR)
- 1st (5000m) – 2016 Australian Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd (3000m steeplechase) – 2016 Australian Championships (Sydney, Australia)
- 22nd (3000m steeplechase) – 2015 IAAF World Championships (Beijing, China)
- Setting a personal best time in the women's 3000m Steeplechase at the London Olympics, 2012
- Setting a personal best time in the women's 3000m Steeplechase at the Glasgow Diamond League, 2014
- Finishing fifth in the women's 3000m Steeplechase at the Commonwealth Games, 2014
- Tamborine Mountain State School (QLD, Australia)
- John Paul College (QLD, Australia)
- Applied Physiology and Kinesiology (Fitness and Wellness) - University of Florida (2008 – )
Nic Bideau (2013 - current)
Glenhuntly, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Primary Training Base
Secondary Training Base
- Favourite food
- T-bone steak – as rare as possible!
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Mainstream - pretty much what ever is on the radio.
- Dream car
- 2013 Mercedez Benz G-Class SUV
- Personal Motto
- Be thankful, stay humble and cherish your loved ones.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Australia tattooed with the Olympic rings in the middle
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- If I had the skill – tennis
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman's Gold, Sydney Olympics, 2000
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- my parents
- Why this sport?
- because it is the toughest