Gabrielle Nance will make her Olympic debut at the Rio Games, after solid performances in recent international tournaments becoming an ever-presence force on the pitch.
The 21-year-old grew up in Kingscliff, NSW, before moving to South Australia to pursue her hockey dreams with the South Australian Sports Institute. She represented NSW as a junior before getting her chance in the Australian Hockey League with the SA Southern Suns as a domestic import player.
Nance made her Australian senior international debut against New Zealand in late 2014, going on to play at the Champions Trophy and 2015 World League Finals in Rosario
She took up hockey at the age of eight after moving to Kingscliff where her sister began playing after seeing a sign on the way into the town advertising the local hockey club. Not wanting her sister to be better than her, young Gabi also signed up.
Nance counts former Hockeyroos Kim Small and Sharon Buchanan amongst her hockey idols. Off the pitch, Nance is a keen surfer as well as an accounting student who says she hopes to change the perception of accounting as ‘boring’.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
South Brisbane , QLD, Australia
Rivervale, WA, Australia
- 2nd - 2016 International Hockey Tournament (Darwin, Australia)
- 4th – 2016 Champions Trophy (London, England)
- 6th – 2015 World League Final (Rosario, Argentina)
- 1st – 2015 Oceania Cup (Stratford, New Zealand)
- 3rd – 2015 World League Semi-Final (Antwerp, Belgium)
- Champions trophy silver medal 2014
- Scoring my first goal for Australia in Korea series 2014
- Being a part of the Olympic squad 2016
- Kingscliff highschool
- Accounting and finance- open colleges 2014-current
Adam commons 2015-current
Westside wolves, shenton park WA, Australia
Primary Training Base
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Jamie T
- Dream car
- Land Rover
- Personal Motto
- Everyone is fighting their own battles, be kind.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Race 7 doomben
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- 800m run
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Gold medal 2000
- First Olympic Memory?
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- Team sport and and it involves all attributes, speed, skill etc