One of the last players cut from the London 2012 squad, Erin Phillips will get another chance to help Australia to claim a historic gold medal at Rio after winning silver with the team at the Beijing Games.
Having made her national debut at just 19, Phillips soon broke into the Australian senior team where she was a part of the side’s that won World Championship and Commonwealth Games gold in 2006. In the same year she played her first season in the WNBA with the Connecticut Sun.
After winning Beijing silver, the 5”8 guard headed to Europe playing in Israel and Poland, where she won three straight titles between 2010-12. She began playing for the Indian Fever with whom she won a WNBA title with in 2012.
She’d go on to become a WNBA champion for the second time alongside Australian teammate Penny Taylor at the Phoenix Mercury in 2014. Phillips has since played for the LA Sparks and the Dallas Wings in the US.
The Melbourne native was the third highest scorer for the Australian team at the 2014 World Cup as the Aussie side claimed third. She scored 8.7 points as well as 4 rebounds and 4 assists for the side.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Carlton, VIC, Australia
West Lakes, SA, Australia
- 2008 Beijing - 2nd
- 1st – Rio 2016 test event (Rio, Brazil)
- 3rd – 2014 World Championships (Turkey)
- Winning silver with the Australian basketball team in Beijing.
- Winning both World Championships and Commonwealth Games gold in 2006.
- Getting the chance to play at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
- West Lakes Shore Primary (SA, Australia)
- Seaton High School (SA, Australia)
Brendan Joyce (2013- current)
Los Angeles Sparks (WNBA) USA
Primary Training Base
Los Angeles, USA
Secondary Training Base
West Adelaide Bearcats Stadium Port Adelaide
- I don't have superstitions, I just like to stick to routines but I keep things very simple.
- Favourite food
- Favourite holiday destination
- Hawaii but I would love to go to Thailand.
- Favourite music
- 60's, 70's and 80's classic hits
- Dream car
- A ute or truck.
- Personal Motto
- Believe in yourself, work your butt off, never give up AND HAVE FUN!
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Latte, mint kit kat
- 6 Tattoos.
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Hicham El Guerrouj at the 2004 Olympic Games
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Tracy Phillips
- Why this sport?
- It's a great game which can take you all over the world