Ellie Carpenter will not only be the youngest member of Alen Stajcic’s team at Rio but, at 16 years and 99 days at the time of the Opening Ceremony, she is set to be the youngest athlete on the 400 plus Australian Olympic Team.
The young defender left her home town of Cowra in rural NSW to move to the Western Suburbs of Sydney where she attended Westfield Sports High. Having also shown plenty of potential in athletics Carpenter chose to focus on football when she was 12, a decision that has well and truly paid off.
She played for the NSW Institute of Sport before signing for her first W-League team when she lined up for the Western Sydney Wanderers in the 2015/16 season. Carpenter played every minute of her debut season.
The youngster caught the eye of Stajcic with her impressive play at the back and she became the first millennial to play for the Australian side when she got her chance at the Rio 2016 qualifiers. Carpenter became the ninth youngest women’s footballer to pull on the Australian jersey when she started and played the entire match as the side defeated Vietnam 9-0.
Carpenter also played the opening 46 minutes for the side who finished 1-1 with China to remain undefeated in the five match round robin tournament.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Cowra, NSW, Australia
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut.
- 1st - Rio 2016 Olympic qualifiers (Japan)
- 7th – 2015/16 W-League Premiership with Western Sydney Wanderers
- Member of Australian National Women's football team that won Asian Olympic qualifying tournament.
- Playing my first match for Australia and becoming the first player, male or female, born in the 21st Century to represent an Australian senior national team.
- Making W-League debut at age of 15. Youngest player in the W-league and Women's Game best newcomer.
- Mulyan Public School - Cowra (NSW, Australia)
- Westfields Sports High School (NSW, Australia)
Alen Stajcic - current
Primary Training Base
- Always wear the same colour headband on game days!
- Favourite food
- Homemade pizza
- Favourite holiday destination
- Hayman Island
- Favourite music
- All music!
- Dream car
- Personal Motto
- Never give up
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Sally Pearson
- First Olympic Memory?
- Cathy Freeman winning gold
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- It's my passion.