Ellia Green catapulted into the international spotlight when she scored an astonishing 80-metre try against Canada in the three-match exhibition series at the 2014 Gold Coast Sevens. Within four hours, the try had been viewed over 200,000 times on the Sevens World Series Facebook page.
Having started out as a sprinter, Green represented Australia in athletics at the 2009 World School Games in Qatar. She was recruited into the Australian Rugby Sevens program after attending a talent identification camp in Melbourne in 2012.
The agile winger made her international debut in 2013 in Houston. Since then she has become a rugby sevens household name, helping Australia win the 2015/2016 Rugby Sevens World Series. The 23-year-old will join a young team in Rio 2016 when the sport makes its Olympic debut.
Green was the fourth highest try-scorer in the 2015/2016 World Series, scoring a total of 17 tries. Her Australian teammate Emilee Cherry was the second highest try scorer with 22 tries.
Born in Suva, Fiji, the ‘Green Machine’ is undoubtedly the team’s biggest character. She claims her talents include barking like a dog, beat boxing and rapping. Green’s mum is her biggest career and life influence.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Rugby - Sevens
Rugby Sevens Women
Sydney, NSW, Australia
- Rio 2016 will be Olympic debut
- 2nd - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – France Sevens (Clermont-Ferrand, France)
- 1st - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Atlanta Sevens (Atlanta, USA)
- 1st - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Sao Paulo (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- 1st - 2015-16 Sevens World Series – Dubai Sevens (Dubai, UAE)
- Securing qualification and being selected for Rio 2016
- Winning the 2015/16 World Series title
- Winning the London Sevens in 2015
- Brisbania Public School (NSW, Australia)
- Star of the Sea College (VIC, Australia)
- Division 2 Nurse
Tim Walsh (2013 - current)
Narrabeen Sports Academy
Primary Training Base
- Visors make you fitter
- Favourite food
- Pork ribs & lamb chops
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- RnB and Reggae
- Dream car
- Lamborghini Gallardo
- Personal Motto
- Persevere to achieve greatness and you can fight any challenge life may throw at you.
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Fijian tribal on right arm Fijian last name on stomach
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Inspiring Olympic Performance?
- Cathy Freeman winning gold at the Sydney 2000 Olympics
- First Olympic Memory?
- Cathy Freeman
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- Why this sport?
- It is fast, exciting, fun, social and has a great atmosphere