2015 World Championships silver medallist, David Watts will make his Olympic debut in Rio as a member of the men’s double scull with teammate Chris Morgan.
Born in England, Watts moved to Australia as a toddler, eventually settling in Perth where he started his rowing career. He first represented Australia in the 2008 Junior World Championships where the 16-year-old finished fourth in the Men’s Four A Final.
In 2010 the West Australian won two bronze medals for Australia, including one from the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in the Junior Men’s Pair with Matthew Cochran. He won another bronze at the 2012 U23 World Rowing Championships in Trakai, Lithuania.
Watts has been training regularly in Canberra at the Reinhold Batschi National Training Centre under the guidance of Lyall McCarthy. After the 2015 National Selection Trials, Watts was selected to join Cameron Girdlestone, Karsten Forsterling and Olympic gold medallist David Crawshay in the Men's Quadruple Scull, coached by Tasmanian John Driessen. The team claimed silver at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France.
His father passed away when he was 15 and while it doesn’t define David, it is something that changed his life and drives him to succeed in whatever he does. Watts is an established photographer and his work can be seen in a number of up and coming fashion and rowing magazines as well as on his own photography page. He has played guitar for 19 years and loves surfing.
All copy on this page is copyright © Australian Olympic Committee. Do not reproduce without permission.
Double Scull Men
Davo, Wattsy, Dave
Stockton on Tees, England
Floreat, WA, Australia
- Rio 2016 wil be Olympic debut
- Singapore 2010 - 3rd (Mens Coxless Pairs)
- 1st – (M4x) 2016 Australian Interstate Regatta (Sydney, Australia)
- 2nd – (M4x) 2015 Rowing World Championships (Aiguebelette, France)
- 3rd – (M4x) 2014 World Rowing Cup 1 (Sydney, Australia)
- 3rd – (BM8+) 2012 World Rowing U23 Championships (Trakai, Lithuania)
- Silver Medal 2015 World Rowing Championships Mens Coxless Quad - Aiguebelette, France
- Bronze Medal 2012 U23 World Rowing Championships Mens Coxed 8 - Trakai, Lithuania
- Living Waters Lutheran College (WA, Australia)/City Beach Primary School (WA, Australia)
- Churchlands Senior High School (WA, Australia)/Trinity College (WA, Australia)
Rhett Ayliffe (2014, 2016)
Swan River Rowing Club
Primary Training Base
Australian Institute Of Sport, Canberra
Secondary Training Base
Swan River, Perth
- Favourite food
- Banana Bread
- Favourite holiday destination
- Favourite music
- Anything with a good beat
- Dream car
- Subaru WRX
- Star Sign
- I would spend my last $10 on
- Banana Bread or iced coffee. Whatever was on special
- If I could try another Olympic sport it would be
- Most Influential person in your career/life
- My parents